High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Silky or good used top handle for brushwork and limbing?

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I've got a very generous offer made to me on a 020T. So generous, it's pretty much giving the saw to me. However, I've had this Silky in my Amazon wish list for a while, does it make more sense? Am I just giving into CAD or does my permanently injured strong/right arm warrant a nice little top handle saw?

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
020t is a bad ass saw. If you get it cheep take it. Could easily sell for 400 bills in good running condition if you didn't like it

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I'm assuming the offer on the 020T is so good that the silky would be more expensive. I would take a motorized saw either way but it depends on how much you use it. One more engine to maintain, chain to sharpen.... if your only going to cut a few branches a year, get the silky. But if you seeing more the two tank fills of gas a year, the get the 020t.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah buy the 020t and clean it up sell it and buy a light rear handle saw and put some extra cash away. Doing the work low to the ground with top handle saws it tough on you and the saw. Exhaust comes out the right rear on most top handle saws and doing low stump cUT blows dirt all over into critical areas and they also breath in lots of exhaust fumes and dont run as well. Youl get lazy with a top handle and use it 1 handed, then the saw will buck back and bite you. I use em all the time love em but I don't recommend them for safety reasons.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll never be old enough to run that 150 turd. It's great for 5" limbs worthless in 10" hardwood. My 200t's eat 12" white or pin or black or... oak for breakfast. Pulls pretty good in Locust and Black Walnut to. I'm old now. Put my screens back in this year ;)

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not trying to dis the 150 but it ain't no tear down saw. Trim saw YES.
It runs 1/4 chain so it's made for slick work.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll never be old enough to run that 150 turd. It's great for 5" limbs worthless in 10" hardwood. My 200t's eat 12" white or pin or black or... oak for breakfast. Pulls pretty good in Locust and Black Walnut to. I'm old now. Put my screens back in this year ;)
The 150t can be pushed on after mods. My echo 360t is ranked right up the the 200t believe it or not. I haven't come across anything it wouldn't cut through buried bar. Now that I got a small saw I might buy a 16 bar for the echo cause it will pull it. I just wish it didn't have a rev limiter.

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This 020t that I might be getting would be a gift (I hope the guy will take some money from me), so I wouldn't be selling it. I have a lot of trees that need limbing. My other saws are a Dolmar 421 and Dolmar 6400. I'm not at all set up for limbing otherwise.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This 020t that I might be getting would be a gift (I hope the guy will take some money from me), so I wouldn't be selling it. I have a lot of trees that need limbing. My other saws are a Dolmar 421 and Dolmar 6400. I'm not at all set up for limbing otherwise.
Well I was just looking out for your safety and the longevity of the saw for low to the ground brush work. Yeah I use my echo like that too but also give it a good cleaning any time i do. Clutch bearing, chain brake mechanism filter and cooling fins

LittleLebowski

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well I was just looking out for your safety and the longevity of the saw for low to the ground brush work. Yeah I use my echo like that too but also give it a good cleaning any time i do. Clutch bearing, chain brake mechanism filter and cooling fins

Oh, I wasn't criticizing your advice at all. I very much appreciate it and have noted the warnings on when to use a top handle saw and the safety issues.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
If you already have a 421 and its on (or put it on ) a 15" bar then it would be my personal choice of a limber / brush saw . The top handle saw as a group is looked upon (in the UK anyhow) as a "Tree Climbers" saw.

Stihl036

3% Neanderthal
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Gotta have both.

I always carry a Silky Zubat on my saddle when climbing. It's great when cuts are near the rope and hand catching and tossing limbs. Also carry a 200T.

Hand saws are great for fine pruning of ornamentals on the ground.

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you already have a 421 and its on (or put it on ) a 15" bar then it would be my personal choice of a limber / brush saw . The top handle saw as a group is looked as (in the UK anyhow) as a "Tree Climbers" saw.
Yeah but they are handy. I do like a small rear handle saw with a long bar so I don't have to bend over to cut the small crap

bikemike

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Gotta have both.

I always carry a Silky Zubat on my saddle when climbing. It's great when cuts are near the rope and hand catching and tossing limbs. Also carry a 200T.

Hand saws are great for fine pruning of ornamentals on the ground.
Yeah they are money well spent and good way to reach out for hangers and catching a rope for rigging or repositioning a climb line

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:50 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah but they are handy. I do like a small rear handle saw with a long bar so I don't have to bend over to cut the small crap
They sure are....hence you need a "chainsaw licence" to buy a new one over here. As a Tree surgeons tool there invaluable .