Side by side atv/utv...

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What do you recommend? I want one that is reliable, durable, and has high box capacity to move firewood around the yard. Towing capacity is nice too.

I've been looking at a Polaris Ranger High Rider, and a Hustler MDV. I like how the Hustler has a little Kohler diesel... which if anyone knows anything about them, they are fuel sipping and run forever.

I like how the Polaris sits higher and would clear stuff like stumps and such better, but I don't think it has the capacities of the Hustler and it for sure won't run as long on a tank of fuel.

Any others I should look at?

Thanks, we are just considering the idea. Not necessarily buying right now, but maybe later.

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Straight workhorse don't forget to look at a Kubota. I have a diesel gator & 570 full size ranger. Both have served us well.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sell both Polaris and Kubota, each serves a different niche. The RTV 900 and up will have a hydraulic dump while the Polaris has a gas assist shock. All Rangers have a double wall plastic bed, the Kubotas are metal. All Kubotas and the 500/570 Rangers have a clamp on either side of the tailgate, the 900/1000 Rangers have a truck type handle for lowering it.

Kubota RTVs are low horsepower and slow, the Rangers go from 33 to 82 hp. I like the front trailer hitch on the Kubota, Polaris has a better cab system.

Feel free to ask questions or come see me!

concretegrazer

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
1:53 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sell both Polaris and Kubota, each serves a different niche. The RTV 900 and up will have a hydraulic dump while the Polaris has a gas assist shock. All Rangers have a double wall plastic bed, the Kubotas are metal. All Kubotas and the 500/570 Rangers have a clamp on either side of the tailgate, the 900/1000 Rangers have a truck type handle for lowering it.

Kubota RTVs are low horsepower and slow, the Rangers go from 33 to 82 hp. I like the front trailer hitch on the Kubota, Polaris has a better cab system.

Feel free to ask questions or come see me!

Have you seen the new Kubota? Sidekick I think they're calling it?

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have used a lot of UTVs for work. I currently have the JD Gator 855D with a electric bed hoist. I also have a Ranger 900.

For farm use I would prefer the Kubota with hydraulic dump, steel bed, and heated cab. We had one before it burnt to the ground (long story). We have three others in our region. The biggest complaint is the low speed and hydro whine.

I like the Gator diesel but it is slow. It will haul a lot in the bed, especially if you upgrade the suspension to the Fox shocks. We haul a 85 gallon skid sprayer on prescribed fires.

The Ranger has an electric bed lift as well since I kept breaking the gas strut ends. We used them for trail maintenance at my previous position. We would fill the beds with sideboards with gravel and pull a ATV dump trailer with gravel and hit the trails. We finally got two crawler carriers so we could stop abusing the rangers. We have had propeller shaft issues and front diff issues with the Rangers, but like I said, they were abused.

Another WMA has a new Kawasaki Mule Pro. It looks nice, but longevity has yet to be determined. It seems to be doing good

Sleeper

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How easy is it to work on a Ranger 6x6? Found one that is used, it's a 500. Like how it's got a real nice hauling capacity of 1250 lbs in the bed and 2000 towing...