Scored 562

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
5:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I scored a 562 the other day..... Which also happens to have a scored piston.

What are some of the notorious causes for scoring with these auto tunes? My guess is straight gassed but I want to cover my bases before goin forward

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I suppose you'll love hearing this..
It's likely the bearing cage let loose, ate the seal and burned up the saw. Hopefully it isn't the case, but it is one of the known problems for what seems like the earlier models.

jmssaws

Banneded
Local time
4:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have one from the same place as deets that looks just like it.
I believe they all were gassed

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also would say straight or old gas. I've pulled about twenty of these apart over the last three years and have yet to find one with a bad seal or a blown crank, so I would say the auto-tune is doing a good job for the most part keeping the engine together. Out of the twenty- I have found five or so with a blown main bearing, usually on the PTO side. None of the twenty have had a compromised base gasket but several have had bad compression releases. In several I've found the ring locating pin has come loose and caused significant problems.

That looks like old gas scuffing to me.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
View attachment 36824

Small piece off the crown too. Stuck the ring and piston clipped the ex port?
Those two crescent marks on the piston top ? and then a single crescent mark on the piston lip ?
Early ones didnt have the extra bolt in the case and the cooling mod in the top cover..they got hot !

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was suprized how fast you can have the whole intake and jug out in one of these saws
545/550/560 is probleby the easiest Husky saws I've ever worked on, far faster to put together also compared to 346/357.
It's tight, but when I learned the technique with carb/airfilter holder I have to admit it's easy to love those saws.

johnny5ny

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Autotune will definitely mask an air leak, even a big one as jmsaws said.
Ive heard of a few leaky decomps on these saws so it might be worth a look, but that piston looks like there's more than just that going on.
Without a doubt, port it while your in there. Even if you don't touch the intake or trans, with a raised/widened/squared exhaust and MM, it's a different saw.

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Autotune will definitely mask an air leak, even a big one as jmsaws said.
Ive heard of a few leaky decomps on these saws so it might be worth a look, but that piston looks like there's more than just that going on.
Without a doubt, port it while your in there. Even if you don't touch the intake or trans, with a raised/widened/squared exhaust and MM, it's a different saw.
image.jpeg

Even if I wanted to grind on the intake....not really sure where I'd start lol