Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
10:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was off of the site for most of this past weekend (03/17/2017 - 03/19/2017) because I was volunteering at the local Boy Scout Camp. I came up through the program and had the opportunity to do a-lot of things that I probably never would have been able to otherwise. From sailing in the Florida Keys to Rappelling with the U.S. Army Rangers, meeting a former (current at the time) President, and working side by side with some amazing people.

I still volunteer as an Assistant Scoutmaster and at least four times a year go up to our local camp to participate in maintenance projects. So I was just wondering how many other Scouters, current or former, are on the site. I will start off,

Eagle Scout Class of 2005
Arrow of Light as a Cub Scout
Vigil Honor
2001 and 2005 National Scout Jamboree participant (Chaplain Aide in 2001 and Assistant Senior Patrol Leader in 2005)
Sea Base in 2006
National Order of the Arrow conference Staff 2015

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great Smoky Mountain Council - Troop 58, Strawberry Plains, TN (Knoxville)
Eagle Scout Class of 2000
OA Vigil
Charles L Sommers Canoe base - 1996, 1998
NOAC - 2000 - University of TN

Never went to Philmont or Sea base. I wanted to, our troop just didn't have the interest. I still help (or did) from time to time. I believe my old troop is folding due to the recent changes. I manage a great place for scouts to utilize, but the local troop has no interest in doing service projects here, or anything else. It seems there still are a few good troops in this area trying to raise boys right, but some aren't doing what they should.

With the recent changes and the fact the local troop here is not very "active", I am looking at possibly starting a Trail Life USA troop here in the community. I just have to find enough interest for it here.

Mike from Maine

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got kicked out of the scouts. Apparently if you hurt the feelz of your patrol leader during a jamboree and he attempts suicide you are no longer welcome. Who knew?

KenJax Tree

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got kicked out of the scouts. Apparently if you hurt the feelz of your patrol leader during a jamboree and he attempts suicide you are no longer welcome. Who knew?

Its changed a lot since i was a kid with the sex abuse from leaders and transgenders now being allowed. No thanks

Onan18

OPE Sponsor
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its changed a lot since i was a kid with the sex abuse from leaders and transgenders now being allowed. No thanks

That's one thing I hate is all of the negative press they have gotten in the last few years. The media only focuses on the one or two negative incidents and things get blown completely out of proportion, nevermindthe tens of thousands of boys that are helped every year.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Troop 333, Stewart Ohio
Class of 1998 , Life Rank, not getting my eagle still bothers me to this day. Situation was out of my control, nothing I could do about it.
Troop number is still reserved, but hasn't had members since around 2000. Many of us are old enough and have kids old enough there has been talk of restarting soon. If not I would like to join up as an assistant with one of the local troops in the near future.

I don't know how the scouts are today compared to the 90's, but I would definitely say they made me the man I am today. I learned more about life, respect, and working hard from the scouts than I did anywhere else in life.

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Troop 880. Cascade, Wi.
Eagle Scout class of 2004
I keep getting asked to come back as assistant scout master and so on. But I have no time. I was in camp ever summer for about 12 years straight up until eagle. Loved every minute of it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1978 i was in scouts for a summer it was fun but the scoutmaster quit and that was the end of that no one would help with it
Wish it had continued now there is many scout troops around here.

danimal

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:32 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was a scout.......sniper.
Central America, early 80s.
Drug lords,commie governments,
Imbedded rebels trying to topple governments.
650 yrds thru jungle bush to second story window was longest confirmed.

And I was a cub scout as a kid.
Retarded pack leader we had.
Told her gfy one day n walked home..

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Longhouse Council
Troop 50
Life Scout
OA

Our troop had great leaders. Annually we took a trip to Gettysburg or Antietam battlefield and camped for a week. We also had a strong color guard and matched for Nascar and other races at Watkins Glen International Speedway. Our camp was on private land behind the home stretch so we were woke up when they dried the track and practice started.

Now my son is 6 and we are doing the Cub Scouts. I would like to be am assistant but I have too much on my plate to commit to that. I'm required to attend with him so it's quite involved right now. I plan to continue with that level at a minimum going forward.

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Old North State Council
Battlefield District
Troop 103

Eagle in '97
4 palms
Honor Medal
OA
Arrow of Light

National Jamboree x 2
Philmont
Somers Canoe base
Sea Base

Last time I heard a total, it was over 400 nights under canvas. Eager for my youngest to get started.... good times. I fear false media has put a negative light on a great program in the last few years.

My grandfather was pretty big into scouting too...

kingOFgEEEks

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
General Sullivan Council (Merged with Five Rivers eventually)
Troop 33, Canton, PA
1st Class (had completed requirements for star, but politics in the troop kept me from advancing)
OA
Arrow of Light

However, I spent more time in 4H, so that might have had something to do with me not advancing as quickly through the ranks. That, and the fact that my family couldn't afford to pay to advance, and some of the other families could.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does Uncle Sam's Misguided Children club count...?

Actually did spend a couple of years in the Cub Scouts back in the mid-70's...Bobcat, Wolf, and Bear badges. Won the Troop soap box derby one year.

stihl_head1982

Here long time
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Does Uncle Sam's Misguided Children club count...?

Actually did spend a couple of years in the Cub Scouts back in the mid-70's...Bobcat, Wolf, and Bear badges. Won the Troop soap box derby one year.

Yep, it counts!
For some of us even more.
Thanks again for your service.