Resawing some old lumber.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
10:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was able to get the six pieces of lumber from our water treatment plant. They really old and if they were ever installed they would’ve been used underwater.

I was told they were Cypress, but I’m not sure I’ve never seen Cyprus in person.

They are 3x8x14’

Anyone know What species of lumber this is? My guess is redwood?

EC63EF79-5928-46F7-8515-2BD4E13002C2.jpeg

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looks like cypress to me. We buy it for wood duck boxes out of West TN. I think it would depend on where you are located.

How do you like that mill? Ive been looking at one similar or a HUD SON homesteader.
Check out Tradesmanchannel2017 on YouTube. He is in NY and has a Homesteader by Hudson. Building a heck of a timberframe barn in NY with it.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Golddredger

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I don't think its redwood. I cut redwood all the time and its loaded with curly patterns and all sorts of colors. That grain is very plain and the color consistent. My vote is cypress. Zoom in close to the side of this redwood to see the grain and colors.101_0007.JPG

Semotony

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:45 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cypress is my view. I forget the name used to describe the Cypress I grew up with on walls of three of the rooms. It grew on the edge of salt and fresh water. Tide in roots in ocean water, tide out roots in fresh. Made for some unique coloration. The redwood that was used in what the family business built was lighter in weight and had a larger ring pattern, with a darker color.