Remington

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
11:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some times kerosene or diesel fuel will loosen up stuck oilers . I have a book on Remington some place .Let me see if it says anything in a day or so .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Remington book shows nothing let me look at the Homelite XL 12 IPL and instructions .I have two dealers books on that brand certainly at least one should have instructions .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Some times kerosene or diesel fuel will loosen up stuck oilers . I have a book on Remington some place .Let me see if it says anything in a day or so .
Al,I had kerosene in the oil tank for over 6 months & it did nothing.Next I put acetone in it overnight & still nothing.Remington made the crappiest automatic oilers out there.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FWIW the few IPL's on Remington I have aren't the easiest diagrams to follow . You might have spring loaded ball check valves and who knows what else .As I said because pl-4-5 look a lot like Homelite XL 12 it might share the same oiler design .For that matter Homelite could have made them under the Remington logo because a lot of that was done by many brands .Fact it's still being practiced .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here's what I've found providing these models are direct copies of the Homelite xl-12 if they aren't then it won't apply .The thumb pump is just a plunger with an o-ring seal. Check valve in check valve out .The automatic pump is similar to just about all saws with the exception of many later model Stihls that drive off the clutch drum .These are crank shaft driven from a worm gear on the crank shaft meaning they should pump oil any time engine is running .From what I gather it's just a standard pump design with an adjustment to set the stroke length .Longer stroke more oil .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now I had problem with one and it is a Mac 650 ,87 cc gear drive circa 1966 ,the year I graduated HS .That style uses an impulse pump for automatic and a thumb for manual .The o-ring of the manual had deteriorated over 40-50 years and hung the pump up . That one I nearly had to field strip the saw to get to .Replaced the o-ring and that was that .Which since these other methods haven't worked you are most likely going to have to do .

67L36Driver

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:23 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
9d58c7a1cf477c050c54b74cb23dd903.jpg

I have two NOS SL-9 type clutch covers I’ve no use for. They arn’t cherry.

PM for details.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al,I've got 2 other PL5s that arern't runners.I could take the plungers out of them & try on the MW 4.0.I'm pretty sure one is manual only.I've even thought of taking the engine out of the MW 4.0 & plugging off the impulse boss & putting that engine in the PL5.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll have to look at them if I get time .They are in with a pile of others back in my woods in an old camping trailer I use for storage .They were like most , freebies dead on arrival .I've got those Remingtons , couple of XL-12 Homeys and others much alike I'm not even certain who made them or rather what brand they were sold under .However if it is the plungers it's just a little o-ring you can buy a whole bag full for a couple of dollars .
If it were mine I'd peel it down and figure out how it worked then know in case another one comes along .Besides that Buna-N is not combatable with acetone just so you know .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll have to look at them if I get time .They are in with a pile of others back in my woods in an old camping trailer I use for storage .They were like most , freebies dead on arrival .I've got those Remingtons , couple of XL-12 Homeys and others much alike I'm not even certain who made them or rather what brand they were sold under .However if it is the plungers it's just a little o-ring you can buy a whole bag full for a couple of dollars .
If it were mine I'd peel it down and figure out how it worked then know in case another one comes along .Besides that Buna-N is not combatable with acetone just so you know .
FWIW,there's a member here who uses Goof Off,which is high in acetone,to clean carbs.I know the check valves in the carbs have some type of rubber based component & it doesn't seem to affect them,but he only soaks the carbs for 30-45 min.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
BUNA-N should not be used in highly polar solvents such as acetone and methyl ethyl ketone, nor should it be used in chlorinated hydrocarbons, ozone or nitro hydrocarbons. Temperature range -54°C --It's not my idea----

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found out why the manual oiler wouldn't work.First I put oil in the PL5 & got it to oil.Then I pulled the plunger out of the MW 4.0 & put it in the PL5 & it worked just fine.I put the plunger from the PL5 into the MW 4.0 & no dice.I then pulled the recoil off the MW 4.0 & vaguely remembered that the oil pick up was in the fitting that was screwed into the oil tank.I pulled it apart & found that fitting that holds the oil pick up has a check valve in it & it was stuck closed.I've got it stuck in the open position now,but haven't got the lines hooked up yet.Oil was being sucked into the cylinder due to the automatic oiler most likely needing a check duck bill.I'm going to strip down the PL5 & the MW 4.0 & put the engine into the PL5.The PL5 is a much better looking saw than the MW 4.0 anyway,IMO.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More on this subject .What we have here I think is Remington PL4 I think and a Lombard Comango .The PL 4 is 59 cc and the other being 4.2 cubic inch .The design is exactly the some but some features are not .I could not find the Homelite XL -12 which is most likely under a mountain of misc junk in one of my storage trailers .
According to Joyce (RIP ) in Indiana AKA "Chainsaw Lady " they were all designed by one engineer but things were slightly different to bypass patent infringements .Poulan BTW had a model also slightly different .How many more did I have no idea but I've seen models up to 5 cubic inch and as small as about 2 cubic inch .

Attachments

• DSCN1259[1].JPG
    DSCN1259[1].JPG
    227.2 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I figured I'd give the MW 4.0 one last shot at oiling today.I remembered I had an oil tank from an SL11,& I pulled that elbow/check valve out & it was in working order,or so I thought.I had to pull the FW & stator assembly in order to get the oil lines back together.It still won't oil.
I styarted pulling the PL5 apart & got as far as trying to get the clutch off.I can't budge the damn thing.I'm going clockwise on it to try to remove it.Any suggestions?I had the clutch off 2 yrs.ago & it's been kept in my garage.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Al,I believe the Poulan 361 was the model that was very similar.Also,the Pioneer 1200A.Bob Johnson told me that the guy who designed the Homelite XL-12 quit Homelite (disgruntled) & went to work for Pioneer & designed the 1200A,which was pretty much the same as the SXLThe Lombard Comango is 69cc.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They can give you fits until you figure out how they work .Basically you have to have a check valve in and a check valve out .However they could be duck bill ,reed ,ball check .I wish they would have left the thumb pumps on them in addition to the auto function but they went away decades ago .Usually I can get them but must admit I just have to walk away at times and cool my jets a while .It certainly doesn't help having them sit on the floor of a barn unused for 25-30 years .Face it if the oiler doesn't work all you have is a loud little engine .

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Today I got the clutch to finally break loose & then I stripped down the rest of the saw.It's down to the bare engine on the PL5 now.I'll start the stripping process on the MW 4.0 tomorrow & then begin putting the MW engine into the PL5 carcass.I'll need to get 2 plugs to plug off the impulse portion of the automatic oiler on the MW 4.0 engine.

edju1958

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got the MW pulled apart today & got the engine swapped over into the PL5 case.I had my son take me to the hardware store to buy a plug to plug off the impulse boss only to find out that they don't carry 1/8 in.compression plugs or caps.All that work for nothing.

Brufab

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So no luck on the oiler? That stinks, I had to do some rigging to get the automatic oiler on my PL7A to work. What a pain in the butt. Poulan duckbill then had to stack a bunch of orings on top to take up some space to hold it in. It blows alil oil on startup, maybe that's common but works good after that.
I ran out of bar oil once so far and burnt the duckbill up instantly