High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Price Check on aisle 066, please. Price Check...

Sty57

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I don’t care what model it is.
$50-$75 is all I’d give for a roached saw. Much less for a smaller saw......if I’d even take it.
Not knowing the history kinda sucks.
Something like that....I’d be inclined to do a full rebuild for piece of mind.
You’re gonna have $250-$350 in OEM parts at least.
Then at least 3-4 hours stripping, cleaning, inspecting and rebuilding.....at least.
I'm right there with you.
I pass on a lot of stuff but really don't like getting buried in them.
It can happen fast when a guy has no idea what you're getting into.

odin

100% noodle arms
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Found my way to the shop on Friday and I ended up getting 5 saws for 40 bucks. It's mostly junk, but one is a sure runner and I could definitely use the parts from two others for a current 024 project. The 066 is more like an 066 case with a few parts hanging off it. It's now sitting on my bench just the same...

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Found my way to the shop on Friday and I ended up getting 5 saws for 40 bucks. It's mostly junk, but one is a sure runner and I could definitely use the parts from two others for a current 024 project. The 066 is more like an 066 case with a few parts hanging off it. It's now sitting on my bench just the same...
If the 066 carcass was included in the $40, you done good.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If the saws aren't readily repairable, just part them out and make a few bucks for your troubles. 3 pieces should get your $40 back. In fact, there's no doubt that there's more money made in parting out saws than fixing them but I don't part them often because I like fixing them. (I think I have a problem...) Neither of the two options is going to make you a decent living.

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that $40 ea, or $40 for all??? What else did you get???

odin

100% noodle arms
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If the saws aren't readily repairable, just part them out and make a few bucks for your troubles. 3 pieces should get your $40 back. In fact, there's no doubt that there's more money made in parting out saws than fixing them but I don't part them often because I like fixing them. (I think I have a problem...) Neither of the two options is going to make you a decent living.

Is that $40 ea, or $40 for all??? What else did you get???

It was 40 bucks for the whole shebang. The saws include the following -

MS361 complete with 16-inch bar and chain. Saw was owned by a fence builder (barbed-wire ranch fence, I'm on the prairie) and was straight-gassed. Looks to need a piston, AV and new hoses. Prolly a carb kit too, just cuz.

066 - Not really a "saw" per se, but bits include case, crank, clutch, flag, half-wrap handle, tank/handle/carb mount assy., recoil, coil and flywheel. Ol' boy is sure the cylinder is "around here somewhere", but couldn't remember where. My dream is to own a big saw cuz I want a big saw and I'd like to do a small bit of milling. Figured this was as good a place to start as any...

From the junk pile behind the shop my 10-year-old grabbed an 028 (I think... old, metal handle, no plastics), an 024/026 crusted with some sort of impenetrable goo, and a complete 038AV powerhead that was dropped or run over. Those three are pretty much trash, but I've already figured to pull the dogs off the 024/026 for the MS361 listed above. I'm sure I'll find other useable/sellable bits as I dig into them.

My plan right now is to get the MS361 running, do the basic mods (advance timing, muff mod, maybe gasket delete) and sell it. Should easily recoup all my costs right there, plus some. Then part the rest out for sale or my own use. I've got an 024/029/CS-400 mashup project that could use some bits yet, so we'll see what I can find in that heap.

The shop we found this stuff at is, as my mother would say, a scream. An absolute heap of saws, blowers, trimmers, mowers, boxes, and bins all covered in a thick coat of grease and grime. There was so much crap it was hard to sort mentally. Most of the saws were in bits with different parts strewn hither and yon. The 361 was sitting on the floor without plastics. I found those in a box 15 feet away with parts to a different saw altogether. Supposedly he's got three running 026's, but all I could find was one in about nine pieces under a work bench. Just piles and piles of old, worn OPE. Found a Mac 10-10 under a heap of crap. Then an old Homelite, then a Poulan. A half-dozen bars half-tucked under some other crap. Oh look, spools of chain! You need a busted blower, cuz I've counted seven already and we've only been here 15 minutes...

I talked to Ol' Boy for a good long while. I get the feeling he just wants to be rid of the stuff. Thinking we'll go back and sort out every rebuildable saw we can find and make an offer for the whole lot. Most of the saws we left were homeowner/farm saws, but there's the afore-mentioned 026's plus some decent looking 029's. Easy-fix, easy-sell in my mind. Not that it's about making a buck for me. I wasn't really allowed to touch the tools when I was a kid. I'm kinda making up for lost time.

So what if I blow up a saw that took me 10 hours and 100 bucks to build? No matter how you slice it, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than my bachelors degree. And I think I'm learning just as much...

Last edited: