Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Croatia/Europe - separate hoses for each type of fuel.

I can no longer get E-free, EuroSuper95 E5 is what it says on all pumps in my vicinity.

Interesting comparison, the difference in wash patterns is baffling.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
3:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here in Ontario we have shell premium 92 which has no ethanol, have run it for years.
Thers more then just shell here thats e free. Canadian tire , ultramar, pioneer, high test grades and few more but cant recall the names.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have another theory, it's called what did the guy ahead of you pump into his vehicle? There's a whole hose full of whatever that is. Also 89 is made in the pump by mixing 87 and 91, you can hear the valve switch back and forth while pumping. Before it was delivered it was all 87, the tanker driver adds an additive to tame it down and make 91, this was told to me by a former gas station attendant. Personally I run 87 E-free in my small engines of all types.
Headline of this should have been and I quote "Stihl Stinks!" Lol
Befor i get my saw gas i pump few liters into truck to empty line of previous fuel.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

00wyk

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Croatia/Europe - separate hoses for each type of fuel.

I can no longer get E-free, EuroSuper95 E5 is what it says on all pumps in my vicinity.

Interesting comparison, the difference in wash patterns is baffling.

Same here in Ireland. 95 everywhere. Some grades can be different, may be marketing, may be additives, but they are all the same octane, and all are 5% ethanol now.
I have seen pumps with 97, 98 and 99 before, though. But those were in big cities in the UK or the continent. I last saw Shell 99 octane V-Power in the south east of the UK, a suburb of London, when I was working forestry there.
As a note, the EU just updated their standards for fuel labeling at the pumps last summer. You might have been getting ethanol for quite some time. Until last summer, I had no idea there was ethanol in our fuel. As of last summer, they are required to state it at the pumps.

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Same here in Ireland. 95 everywhere. Some grades can be different, may be marketing, may be additives, but they are all the same octane, and all are 5% ethanol now.
I have seen pumps with 97, 98 and 99 before, though. But those were in big cities in the UK or the continent. I last saw Shell 99 octane V-Power in the south east of the UK, a suburb of London, when I was working forestry there.
As a note, the EU just updated their standards for fuel labeling at the pumps last summer. You might have been getting ethanol for quite some time. Until last summer, I had no idea there was ethanol in our fuel. As of last summer, they are required to state it at the pumps.
I can get BP "110 Octane" in Austria, car doesn't behave any different than with the 95 E5 though.

I am afraid You are right, the pump fuel was most likely containing Ethanol for a long while before they updated the labels on the pumps. :(
I guess I can only hope that there is not more than 5% Ethanol in my local 95E5 fuel.

MG porting

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Great thread there buddy. Now to throw the Monkey wrench at you I mix my own fuel for most of my Saw's I run the 94 VP 4 cycle and mix it with Stihl oil but the really high compression Saw's get 110 Vp mixed with Stihl oil. But I'm glad you did the test show's how different all the brands react in the same mix and saw.:beer-toast1:

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for taking the time to test this. I run TruFuel 40:1 when we are going to cut a little and put the saws up. In your opinion, @Redbull661 which canned fuel would you recommend for when you do use it? All three are easily attained near me. Co-Op carries Stihl, Husky, and Echo. I get Tru Fuel from Lowe’s or HD, and VP at NAPA.

OldJack

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Good show, Redbull! :cool:

There's an Esso fairly close that sells Esso 91 octane as well as 87 octane. The 91 always passes the water test for ethanol. It's on a resort lake and the dealer says he sells 3:2 Regular 87:91 Supreme because of the boaters in the summer. The local John Deere - Stihl did sell Aspen for a while, and it was good fuel, but they haven't had any in stock lately. So I'm running 91 Supreme now with Canadian Stihl or Tanaka 2 cycle oil.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice test Julian, thank you very much for doing the test. It shows that the one is burning cleaner as the other.

But I think this test is only in some cases compareable, because there are so many factors that play a roll. For example doing this over some days you have different outside conditions, condition of the filters and much more. I know it is not doable for guys like us to do that under labratory conditions on a dyno with a lot of sensors to get all the different parameters. (Exhaust gas analyzing, reading the data from the control unit for fuel settings, power output check and so on.) Doing it like that under the same conditions would be really intresting. It would also be intresting to compare the wear after severall 100`s hours of run time on the piston and cylinder with each fuel. Stihl did such a test with their HP Ultra on blowers, to see how the oil works, if I remember right.

But again Julian, a nice test and I really enjoy the work and time you needed to do this. Thank you, much appreciated.

Last edited:

Redbull661

661 hoarder (BlueBallz)
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice test Julian, thank you very much for doing the test. It shows that the one is burning cleaner as the other.

But I think this test is only in some cases compareable, because there are so many factors that play a roll. For example doing this over some days you have different outside conditions, condition of the filters and much more. I know it is not doable for guys like us to do that under labratory conditions on a dyno with a lot of sensors to get all the different parameters. (Exhaust gas analyzing, reading the data from the control unit for fuel settings, power output check and so on.) Doing it like that under the same conditions would be really intresting. It would also be intresting to compare the wear after severall 100`s hours of run time on the piston and cylinder with each fuel. Stihl did such a test with their HP Ultra on blowers, to see how the oil works, if I remember right.

But again Julian, a nice test and I really enjoy the work and time you needed to do this. Thank you, much appreciated.

I only cut when it was between 25-40 degrees out. Blew the filter out after each tank. Same bar and used 404 skip chains new one each gallon. I even cut the same size wood for all gas in question - around ~6 tanks of scotts logs and ~4 tanks of noodling bigger stuff.

Not much else one could of done to keep things even.

DND 9000

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not much else one could of done to keep things even.

Right. But it is doing it like that only of a limited validity. Again, I know it is not better possible. It is also possible to get complete different results doing this all a 2nd time, because conditions are never the same doing it that way. I just want to say that, nothing more or less.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
2:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Right. But it is doing it like that only of a limited validity.
There is always room for experimental variation, error, (unintended) bias, etc. Even the batches of STIHL fuel (for example) might vary over time, or in different regions. That said, I think that @Redbull661 went 'above and beyond' in making a careful, good faith effort to compare these similar products, Using new pistons and cylinders for each trial blew me away!

Extended, laboratory controlled situations, and chemical analysis of each product, might provide provide more quantifiable results, but go way beyond the variation we each introduce into normal cutting situations (age of the fuel, exposure to oxygen, being 'heavy' on the trigger, phase of the moon, etc.).

An exceptional inquiry for this forum.

Philbert