Porting an old Husqvarna 357

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
12:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I trim the limiters off in place without actually removing them. Pulling that style off usually results in something being destroyed for me at least

I've trimmed them with the utility knife on a couple saws a while back. I prefer using the spline tool instead of a screwdriver when I can because it's more stable for me. With the carb off it's easy to get to and slice the plastic lengthwise and then it comes off easy. Of course I had to grab these and try to just pull 'em off before I sliced them... I kinda crush them with the pliers then slice them. The little clip is a pain to spread out and pop off but the tiny screw driver and hemostats work wonders...

I know I have 3 or 4 of those spline tools around here somewhere...

Benwa

I love the smell of premix in the morning
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've trimmed them with the utility knife on a couple saws a while back. I prefer using the spline tool instead of a screwdriver when I can because it's more stable for me. With the carb off it's easy to get to and slice the plastic lengthwise and then it comes off easy. Of course I had to grab these and try to just pull 'em off before I sliced them... I kinda crush them with the pliers then slice them. The little clip is a pain to spread out and pop off but the tiny screw driver and hemostats work wonders...

So using your method, do you have to then cut the jet short with a cutoff wheel for the spline tool to fit, or is the tool deep enough to fit over all of it & reach the splines?

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
11:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Having just had a couple of 359's come in to be tuned with the plastics removed I can say it's very very difficult to stab the screwdriver into the metal stub that's left. Had to actually shut the saws off and remove the top covers to get the job done. And none of the kit of twelve adjustment tools would fit either. I just trim the tabs when I do this myself and tuning is still easy and on some saws it helps hold the tune from wandering off. Those caps can be ordered fairly cheaply and is most likely the way to go here. When trimming the tabs I use a small side cutter and cut it off so there is just a little to be shaved off easily.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The splined tools don’t fit that size as far as I know. I’ve tried it also

Funky sawman

Pony Power
Local time
9:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just pulled a temperamental hda191 from my xpg. It had all the mods done to it too. Throttle sticks half open like the others I've fought with.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hear some others say that too. I've had nothing but great luck with them. Probably dealt with 10 or so now without issue. At least the HDA199 anyway. Interesting.
Plus one. Had one pack sawdust under the metering diaphragm cover. Only fit I’ve had with a bunch of them.

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So using your method, do you have to then cut the jet short with a cutoff wheel for the spline tool to fit, or is the tool deep enough to fit over all of it & reach the splines?
I never had jets this long before, but the tools I had were pretty deep and should work, I just have to find one of them...

The splined tools don’t fit that size as far as I know. I’ve tried it also

Figures... If my tools won't fit I'll order a couple of those limiters and put em in. I seem to have to learn most things the hard way... thx for the heads up.

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I had to modify my case splitter that I made for my Stihl since this saw has crank stuffers.

I had to slot the bar mounting holes a little and drill a relief hole at the upper left end for a case boss. I wanted to be able to get the driving bolt centered on the crankshaft.
splitter2.jpg

splitter.jpg

This case split way easier than the few others I've done. I'm still a rookie at this. LOL
splitting.jpg

I've read about stuffers before, but I have never seen one up close and personal. Learning new stuff everyday hanging out on this forum.
stuffer.jpg

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I never had jets this long before, but the tools I had were pretty deep and should work, I just have to find one of them...

Figures... If my tools won't fit I'll order a couple of those limiters and put em in. I seem to have to learn most things the hard way... thx for the heads up.
If you can get the stock spring clips and caps to go back on, I have epoxied them in place before, rather than having the small screw heads stick out

MAF143

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you can get the stock spring clips and caps to go back on, I have epoxied them in place before, rather than having the small screw heads stick out

I might try the tube trick that @Kiwioilboiler mentioned if my tool won't work, if I ever find one of 'em...