High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Pole Pruner recommendations

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Thinking about finally getting one, looking for recommendations.

I'm starting to rethink the ladder/saw combo, & the, put a buddy in the bucket of the front end loader program too. Both have served me well over the years with no accidents. Definitely don't want to change that.

I live on 30 acres mostly wooded. Have several trees close to structures, & multiple roads/trails that go into the woods. My go to routine lately has been, to stand in the back of the mule with the 353. That's a Kawasaki side by side, for the wise guys. I don't have a Donkey :cool:

While I'm confident with saws, & feel I could make a purchase in most classes without additional consultation, I'm pretty ignorant to the pole saw/pruner world, as I don't have a lot of experience with one. Thought I'd defer to y'all before I bought one I regretted buying.

I've always been a loyal Husky guy but, I'm open to other brands for this piece of equipment. I don't want to buy junk, but at the same time, I don't want to spend retarded money on something I'll use occasionally either.

Thoughts ? Recommendations ?

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
10:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The good, gas powered ones are expensive: STIHL or ECHO. They don’t alway like ‘occasional use’.

Some of the battery powered ones work well, but often have shorter reach.

Pro grade manual pole saws work well with sharp blades, but require muscle power.

I think that there are some similar threads on this.

Philbert

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Go electric if can.

I own several by Stihl but after running Husky, Echo and Stihl get the Echo.

Two cons but they only happen with abuse or high use.
The kill switch on early ones will go bad. The saw also likes to give you a good zap in the wet if you have switch problems.

The pro is they designed it to have the power head weight as a counterweight. The handle is much better to work with extended to full length. This saw stays upright while cutting downward. It's a bit more challenging to make cuts sideways vs up and down.

Last edited:

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you're on the milwaukee platform already Ohio Power Tool has the Quik-lok Fuel string trimmer kit for $299 with a free attachment right now. You'd probably want to pick up the additional extension though, depending on how much reach you want.

I own an echo 2620 (I think that's the number) which I like well enough. Got it for an absolute steal, so I couldn't say no, but if I was buying one now, I'd probably buy the M18 just because I don't really use it much and I'm already on that platform.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yeah, the key to the battery pole pruner is looking at the entire battery platform. If you have the Milwaukee tools, as @Ryan Browne does, take a look at that first. Same with Makita, DeWalt, etc. If starting from scratch with battery powered OPE, look at the whole 'family' of supported tools: you might want a chainsaw, leaf blower, string trimmer, etc., down the line, and they should be compatible.

'Pro' grade stuff is always gonna be better and more expensive. Maybe consider a combo? Like a battery powered pole saw for stuff within its reach, and sectional pole saw (Jameson, Marvin, etc.) for taller stuff. No matter what you get, there will be times when it is a foot too short.

I have used corded electric, battery, 2-stroke, sectional, and telescoping pole saws. Sharp chains and sharp blades rule! Have heard lots of frustrating things about the mid-priced gas pole saws. Maybe consider a multi-tool (STIHL, ECHO, Husqvarna) if you go gas and want to get more use out of your investment.

Philbert

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah, the key to the battery pole pruner is looking at the entire battery platform. If you have the Milwaukee tools, as @Ryan Browne does, take a look at that first. Same with Makita, DeWalt, etc. If starting from scratch with battery powered OPE, look at the whole 'family' of supported tools: you might want a chainsaw, leaf blower, string trimmer, etc., down the line, and they should be compatible.

'Pro' grade stuff is always gonna be better and more expensive. Maybe consider a combo? Like a battery powered pole saw for stuff within its reach, and sectional pole saw (Jameson, Marvin, etc.) for taller stuff. No matter what you get, there will be times when it is a foot too short.

I have used corded electric, battery, 2-stroke, sectional, and telescoping pole saws. Sharp chains and sharp blades rule! Have heard lots of frustrating things about the mid-priced gas pole saws. Maybe consider a multi-tool (STIHL, ECHO, Husqvarna) if you go gas and want to get more use out of your investment.

Philbert
He's right on but don't buy the cheap, I mean heap, convertibles like the mighty Red Crapsmen or the yellow thunder of the Poolawn Pro Poo from days gone buy and it's bagged out factory extension segments... gag and cough please. Oh, no need to turn your head it will fine o_O

Stevetheboatguy

mountain dew and ibuprofen please
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought a ht75 before I ever owned a chainsaw. One of the best saw purchase I've made. They will work you just as hard as you work them. You need to be very careful about what is coming down even the saw dust. They are not a toy. A friend of mine lost his buddy because he took a limb he shouldn't have and it bounced back. He never had a chance didn't see it coming until it was too late.

I now have three of the ht75's and they are great for what they are. But if I had to repurchase I would go echo. They are simply a better and more used friendly unit. Keep them full of true fuel and winter bar oil. You won't have any issues. They don't like ethanol or thick bar oil.

Steven

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have the ppt2620 echo as well. its a sweet unit. specs on paper, it looks like the stihl units have “more power”. but...first: 4-mix is ghey. second: the shaft on the stihl saws ive used is like tin foil, any little impact and they bend and are useless. the echo shaft is much more beefy, and can withstand a solid impact (ask me how i know...). but as said above, if youre already into the line of battery tools, and only need it for occasional branches, go for that. but ill say the 2620 has absolutely paid for itself for me in the last couple years

cus_deluxe

terms of service violator
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
They don't like ethanol or thick bar oil.
mine does fine with the same 87 pump gas the rest of my stuff, but i agree 100% on the bar oil. unless its hot out, i usually help the clutch out by just spinning the chain a few times by hand, seems to help loosen things up a bit

Catman

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:01 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have the echo pole pruner that I’ve had for 25 years, used to take it up in the tree with me to deadwood, I would tie a three eights hemp rope out where it extends out and use it, worked great.

Spladle160

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Love my HT-131, it has some serious reach. I can get about 16' out of it without any real issues. It starts easy, has good power and will wear you out in an hour but that's good because it's amazing the how much you've cut. One hour of cutting is a couple of hours of clean up. I am constantly worried about bending the shaft though.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you're on the milwaukee platform already Ohio Power Tool has the Quik-lok Fuel string trimmer kit for $299 with a free attachment right now. You'd probably want to pick up the additional extension though, depending on how much reach you want.

I own an echo 2620 (I think that's the number) which I like well enough. Got it for an absolute steal, so I couldn't say no, but if I was buying one now, I'd probably buy the M18 just because I don't really use it much and I'm already on that platform.
I'm a Dewalt guy, & am very set up with their line of cordless tools.

Woodpecker

Sassy Madam
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
I also have the echo ppt2620. Overall I like it better than the Stihl pruners. It's a tank and will stand up to the frequent commercial use I put it through. I also have a power pruner attachment for my Makita brushless cordless couple shaft power head. It has worked very well so far as well. I like that because I can run a hedge trimmer and string trimmer on it as well. I have also used a friends Milwaukee cordless power pruner and I liked that as well.

For occasional home owner/land owner use I believe I would pick the power pole pruner made by whatever cordless tool platform I already had. For me that was the Makita. The other two major players make quality units as well.

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I also have the echo ppt2620. Overall I like it better than the Stihl pruners. It's a tank and will stand up to the frequent commercial use I put it through. I also have a power pruner attachment for my Makita brushless cordless couple shaft power head. It has worked very well so far as well. I like that because I can run a hedge trimmer and string trimmer on it as well. I have also used a friends Milwaukee cordless power pruner and I liked that as well.

For occasional home owner/land owner use I believe I would pick the power pole pruner made by whatever cordless tool platform I already had. For me that was the Makita. The other two major players make quality units as well.
That's the direction I'm leaning. It will only get occasional use. Couple times a year.

I appreciate all the input I'm getting on this thread. I wouldn't buy a saw from Lowes/Home Depot, but this is a situation where I don't have a justifiable need, nor do I wish to spend the cash, for a pro-grade pole saw/pruner.

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a ppt-2620 Echo. Like others have said, it's a tank! I may only use it once a year and it always fires up and eats trees. I have had it 3 years now.

John235

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I also have the dewalt pole saw. Like the other guy said-always starts. I was actually surprised with what I could cut with it. No shaft to break cause electric motors up at the head. Definitely wouldn’t consider it for tons of use but for yearly homeowner pruning it’s perfect

Viper21

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I bought the Dewalt. It was $199 at Tractor Supply. I literally just got a 10% off coupon from them so, I got $20 bucks off of that.

I'll mess with it this weekend, & report back.

I had gone by a couple Husky/Stihl dealers, & all anyone had in stock was, the HT56 for $350. Only one of those at that. Both places said, they've not been getting much from the Mfg's lately. In addition to that, neither of the guys I talked to were real impressed with the HT56. Getting the Dewalt for half the price of that, seemed like a no brainer. We'll see what happens...

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I bought the Dewalt. It was $199 at Tractor Supply. I literally just got a 10% off coupon from them so, I got $20 bucks off of that.

I'll mess with it this weekend, & report back.

I had gone by a couple Husky/Stihl dealers, & all anyone had in stock was, the HT56 for $350. Only one of those at that. Both places said, they've not been getting much from the Mfg's lately. In addition to that, neither of the guys I talked to were real impressed with the HT56. Getting the Dewalt for half the price of that, seemed like a no brainer. We'll see what happens...
Seems like that 20V Max DeWalt model with 4Ah batt and charger (DCPS620M1) is hit and miss. A buddy of mine bought one from TSC a couple of months ago and went through two of ‘em in less than 30 days. Took the first back because it wouldn’t run after a couple of light uses, brushless motor fried in it he thought. Exchanged for another one and it happened again after using that one a few times...got his money back and said no more. Reviews seem to indicate the same overall, but plenty of folks give it good reviews and state it runs and works well. I guess the ol’ lemon batch theory in everything made, applies more than anything. Hopefully yours runs out well. Def use it quite a bit within TSC’s 30-day return policy and let us know how it works out.