PM Canadien

Hoggwood

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Farting around with the 330 today. Took a couple of tanks to get it pulling OK. Wearing an old chipper and I could have taken some time to true up the rails. Still managed to fill the truck. More than adequately loud.

Nov 25 2017 (8).JPG

Last edited:

canadien 175

Active OPE Member
Local time
6:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I have 2 of those saws .excellent saws .mine are like new.1 still has origanol cutter bar and chain. chain filed 3 times . it only burned 7 tanks of gas.not bad for an early 70s saw . 1629 type 3 strong saws. was thinking of trading I for parts or part saw .looking for parts 175 or 270 canadien pm . got to be someone who willing to swap .don't want to sell I want to do a trade. I need a gas tank muffler coil, thumb lever for oiling the chain. starter cup possibably a flywheel.saw doesn't have to be running.the 1 im willing to let go of is almost same condition just a little older.works quite well .strong saw.

Attachments

• $_59 6.jpg
    $_59 6.jpg
    178.5 KB · Views: 23
Last edited:

canadien 175

Active OPE Member
Local time
6:22 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I think the cdn pm saws were some of the best old muscle saws ever built. well put together and lots of power.pitty their production run wasn't as long ,they were *b-wordin saws,lol.

old 040

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Farting around with the 330 today. Took a couple of tanks to get it pulling OK. Wearing an old chipper and I could have taken some time to true up the rails. Still managed to fill the truck. More than adequately loud.

View attachment 98282
Hey Cory, I recently picked up this 1631, my first of this series PM, I haven't done anything to it yet, not that it needs it, but was wondering if you know if when pulling the top end on this series saw, what is used to re-seal the cly/case halves together?, is it a sealer or a gasket?, my service book (intertec) only shows a gasket between the oil tank but doesn't state in the script or any pics what is used to seal the top and bottom cases together.s-l1600.jpg

Hoggwood

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Cory, I recently picked up this 1631, my first of this series PM, I haven't done anything to it yet, not that it needs it, but was wondering if you know if when pulling the top end on this series saw, what is used to re-seal the cly/case halves together?, is it a sealer or a gasket?, my service book (intertec) only shows a gasket between the oil tank but doesn't state in the script or any pics what is used to seal the top and bottom cases together.View attachment 161468

Nice. I never pulled mine apart aside from the usual consumables. Here are a couple picks from the IPL that came in a manual for the saw. Should probably take mine out for a cut again. It ran pretty well. Pretty loud.

Calls for a front and rear gasket between the halves.

PM 340 (1).JPG PM 340 (2).JPG PM 340 (3).JPG

old 040

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice. I never pulled mine apart aside from the usual consumables. Here are a couple picks from the IPL that came in a manual for the saw. Should probably take mine out for a cut again. It ran pretty well. Pretty loud.

Calls for a front and rear gasket between the halves.

View attachment 161643 View attachment 161644 View attachment 161645
Thank you sir, yep, your IPL shows it much better than my old service manual, I've never seen any builds on this series of saw either.

old 040

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hey Cory, I recently picked up this 1631, my first of this series PM, I haven't done anything to it yet, not that it needs it, but was wondering if you know if when pulling the top end on this series saw, what is used to re-seal the cly/case halves together?, is it a sealer or a gasket?, my service book (intertec) only shows a gasket between the oil tank but doesn't state in the script or any pics what is used to seal the top and bottom cases together.View attachment 161468
Finally had a chance to play with this saw a little today, cleaning and resetting the points brought the ignition back to life, had it running without touching the carb at first, but it wouldn't hold the settings, so I pulled it and rebuilt it, running great, then no oil to the bar...lol....this version is manual only, oddly though there's a diaphragm using crankcase pulses that seams to do nothing on the manual oiler saws, luckily I didn't break it when removing the pump, cleaned out the housing and pump plus the check valves and now I finally have a complete fully functional saw, had a chance to put in wood and it surprised me, nothing spectacular, but worthy of holding it's own, over-all happy with it so far....:thumbsup:

Pioneer

Old Saw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
60212352561__813F2216-9A2D-45A1-8B8A-D311DA234714.JPG Working on a Skil 1629, it has spark, piston by exhaust port looks great.
Pulled carb and air filter assembly off, piston on intake side looks like new.
New carb kit, fuel line now waiting for a muffler.

Pioneer

Old Saw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
could someone post a picture of an air filter from one of the PM 340 or Skil 1629 saws, I think I will try to fab one.

Pioneer

Old Saw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_1915.JPG IMG_1919.JPG Picked up a PM270 a couple days ago, it started right up appears to run well.
I took it out to try it in a log and broke the rope.

Pioneer

Old Saw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_1952.JPG IMG_1953.JPG Might need some points, condensor and coil for a PM 360,
It's pretty ugly under the flywheel.
Would anyone know if the points and condensor can be replaced with a chip on these saws?

Pioneer

Old Saw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
60255326447__969ECC4D-8DF6-41DF-97A6-A13638AAB100.JPG IMG_1960.JPG I think I'm going to give it a complete rebuild, got it striped down pretty good.
Maybe break the case tomorrow. Then find new bearings and seals.

Dream

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Dont know if it helps or not, but I put a Pertronix electronical ignition on my 1948 Ford 8N tractor, and it solved 99% of my problems. This thing is a totally different animal now. It was a mule before that worked with some finesse and some consoling when it wanted to to a proper machine that did what it was asked to do when it was asked.
I would recommend the chip, as that seems to solve a couple of problems. Staying with points ignition can be beneficial, but only if parts are available, and you have the ability to tune them to help if you want performance. For daily or occasional use for cutting firewood or farm use, I recommend the electronical chip. Reliable if you follow the OEM recommendations, and gets you to enjoying something you would otherwise have to search for parts for. Make sure you FOLLOW THE INSTRUCTIONS COMPLETELY.

Pioneer

Old Saw
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
IMG_1997.JPG IMG_1999.JPG IMG_2001.JPG
View attachment 221265 Working on a Skil 1629, it has spark, piston by exhaust port looks great.
Pulled carb and air filter assembly off, piston on intake side looks like new.
New carb kit, fuel line now waiting for a muffler.
Finished the 1629 today, cleaned up painted it a copper color instead of original gold. It's running very good.
Put a pro Mac powder coated bar on it.
One more 1629 to do, when I get a muffler and complete starter.