High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Please help me make a few Poulans run again

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
7:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok. And it's vented through the cap. That makes sense.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
welcome glad to have someone from kentucky on here.
you can go directly to poulan type in the model and serial and buy a fuel line kit from them.
the only vents i know of on the poulans is the gas cap it has a duckbill valve in it essentially a one way valve in all aspects.

Thanks for the welcome and the info. I'll check that out. I'm in western ky. How bout you?

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
8:31 PM
User ID
Reaction score
third line goes from suction side of primer bubble to left side of carburetor looking from rear handle.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the welcome and the info. I'll check that out. I'm in western ky. How bout you?

Im in Brownsville Edmonson county about 20 minutes north of Bowling Green.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'm seeing a line from the tank on the right side going to the primer bulb. Second line goes from bulb to left side of carb. Third line goes from right side of carb to left hole in the tank. All from the rear of the saw. Does that sound right? I ask because the other 4218 has a filter attached to what is the return line on this saw. This one has no line in the tank on the return line, just the line from the carb going into the top of the tank. On the supply side, it has the line gong through the top of the tank, and a connector inside the tank without the line and filter inside.

Last edited:

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
easier to get filter out if closer to gas cap. the first one in your last post is correct. I drill the hole near the gas cap to 3/16 so one size line fits everything.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So the smaller line by the gas cap is the supply line, and the larger line on the clutch side is the return line. I had it backwards then as far as what I thought they were.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I may do some part swapping tomorrow to get one of these saws complete, then order the stuff I need to get the other two running later. Thanks for your help everyone. I'm sure I'll have more questions tomorrow.

dannyupsolate

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
yes and the small line is fragile. if you hold primer in hand and squeeze one nipple sucks other blows it must suck gas through carburetor.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Like someone said earlier, if you need more than just fuel lines and a carb kit, ask us for parts. I have a couple of these too and parts would only cost you shipping.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thank you both for the kind offers for parts. I'll let you know if I get into anything serious. How do you adjust the carb on these? Is there a certain amount of turns that's known to be in the ballpark? Do you use the special tool, or modify the adjustment screws while it's apart? The first one I burned up was a pita to adjust. I tried the electrician butt connector trick, and even cut a notch in them, but they're so small and so far back in there that it was always hard to reach them.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok. What's the minimum compression these things will run at? The other 4218 that I've got only makes 140psi.

Wagnerwerks

I have yet to "suffer" from CAD
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
140 is good. If there's no scoring you're likely fine. I don't know the needle turns on these. It's around 2 for the older plastic poulans if I remember correctly.

n240sxguy

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Here's the good, the bad, and the ugly. I swapped the fuel line from the uglier, dirtier, lower compression saw to the one I'm working on. I ended up taking the plastic piece off between the carb and the head to get to it, but I think I could've done it without doing that. I tore the stupid paper gasket between there, so I'll probably need to replace that. I put it back together, and got it to fire up. It won't idle, so I'll have to tinker with it some. It'll start on half choke and run as long as you keep the throttle partially open. Either the tank is leaking at the bottom seam, or there's fuel that got spilled under the carb leaking down there somehow. I'm gonna let it sit for a while and see what it looks like when I move it.