High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Oregon Multicut Assessment

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
6:40 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I bought a loop of the 3/8 Oregon Multicut that @radio was selling earlier this year and finally had a chance to try it out on some stumps. Out of the box, it needed sharpening and having the depth gages lowered, so the first cherry stump I cut pretty well defeated it.

I carefully round filed it and set the depth gages to .030" and tried again. I ran a tank through the saw flush cutting brush and then tried the chain on a 25+" sweet gum stump with internal dirt pockets. No problem. I cut off a 12" cherry stump and a smaller triple cherry stump that again was really dirty. I took off another inch from another one that I had cut off last fall and called it good. I would say it lasted 2-3 times as long as the semi-chisel that I usually use. When I looked it over, it needed to be sharpened but it wasn't completely beaten to death. I would say that it worked exactly like it's advertised to work.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So what are the multicut chain differences to say normal Oregon ap/dp semi chisel chains. Is it carbide or something? We all like long lasting chain.

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yes, according to the advertising. It filed, as far as feel and number of file strokes, the same as any other Oregon chain. I did wonder if the file life might be shorter, but I haven't worked with it enough to see.

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So what are the multicut chain differences to say normal Oregon ap/dp semi chisel chains. Is it carbide or something? We all like long lasting chain.
It's a steel chisel cutter and I think it's LPX profile. I was surprised they didn't use a semichisel chain for the starting point, but the point didn't get pounded to death like I would have thought. Apparently that thick chrome layer worked pretty well.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
have you tried some stihl 23rs chain?

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
have you tried some stihl 23rs chain?
I have, along with RM, but it's been several years. I used Carlton semi-chisel for a couple of years and have been working through a few loops of Oregon DPX since then.

jake wells

no longer here
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I have, along with RM, but it's been several years. I used Carlton semi-chisel for a couple of years and have been working through a few loops of Oregon DPX since then.
carlton k1l .325 is great chain can't say i have had good luck with 20lpx Oregon as it dulls fast in the wood i cut.

Wonkydonkey

Plastic member
Local time
12:40 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought they say it's got 3 layers of chrome. But how much normal LPX has, I'm stumped.
IMHO It does hold up to dirty wood better, but how much is hard to say.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Its refreshing when a new product comes out that is an improvement doing something different. I think there is multicut or versacut bars that look nice too.

dbittle

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Its refreshing when a new product comes out that is an improvement doing something different. I think there is multicut or versacut bars that look nice too.
It made me curious how it would do square filed. I'm not sure I want to sacrifice a file on that thick chrome layer to find out though.

CR888

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ya maybe a job for a Silvery.