r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
what poulan ?
unless it is a older one mid 80s or before than all you have is a rebranded husky and still a pos

It is a poulan 4218, not specifically the purple and green "wild thing". Has black cover and orangy case, basically the same thing size wise as wild thing. Was given to me free, used once, I had to replace the carb and fuel line and it has run well since. Just broke the rear handle at the bottom where it does a 90° bend, got it taped to hold together. I had 5+ chains from over the years that fit this, down to 2 chains now. Don't wanna buy anything towards this saw anymore, would rather spend $300-$1000 into one good quality saw - i think with 18" lightweight bar. I don't cut for firewood, just dropping trees and yard cleanup which seems to be more often than I realize. I want to have a good saw for when I need to use one and not worry about it being too small. I don't plan on dropping anything larger than 18-24" in diameter, typically 1 foot or less and then limbing to dispose of it. so the husqv rancher ~450 @ 18" is what I think the size I should be in.

when you say husky - you mean husqvarna right ?

Last edited:

Czed

Aluminium Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It is a poulan 4218, not specifically the purple and green "wild thing". Has black cover and orangy case, basically the same thing size wise as wild thing. Was given to me free, used once, I had to replace the carb and fuel line and it has run well since. Just broke the rear handle at the bottom where it does a 90° bend, got it taped to hold together. I had 5+ chains from over the years that fit this, down to 2 chains now. Don't wanna buy anything towards this saw anymore, would rather spend $300-$1000 into one good quality saw - i think with 18" lightweight bar. I don't cut for firewood, just dropping trees and yard cleanup which seems to be more often than I realize. I want to have a good saw for when I need to use one and not worry about it being too small. I don't plan on dropping anything larger than 18-24" in diameter, typically 1 foot or less and then limbing to dispose of it. so the husqv rancher ~450 @ 18" is what I think the size I should be in.

I can't stress enough what trash the homeowner Husqvarnas are like the 435/440/445/450s.
I'm not talking about the Husqvarna pro XP line
You can go to virtually any pro saw even stihls and you'll be amazed at the performance increase over any modern poulan.

Last edited:

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
4:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You mean a 16 foot or 20 foot boat?

Any Husky above 50cc should work to anchor either of those sizes.

Get a good used Stihl 036, spice it up a bit, use a good fuel mix and tune, and cut for another 10 years without any computer problems or issues.

Same physical size as a Stihl 261, maybe a bit narrower. Weighs 2-3 lbs more, but if the difference between 10 and 13 pounds is a big deal for you, maybe you shouldn’t be cutting wood. Modded, you can even toss a 25” bar on it when needed.
Finding new parts for non-current models can get kind of sketchy right now. For example, I have an 036-project getting lined up and the owner tells me he cannot find and or order a new intake boot for one from his dealer, as Stihl is out of stock for the time being.
It would seem with all the layoffs and new focus on green equipment to be made, that making new parts for old models isn't a high priority.
What computer? Currently the only saw with an onboard microprocessor is the fuel injected 500i.

More and more new folks are going to be coming into doing firewood for heat as the economy continues to tank, and at least for now, we are going to have be flexible to in meeting new challenges.

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If you want a 50cc saw, the echo 4910 is the best value. Pro saw build, magnesium crankcase, adjustable oiler etc. Husqvarna 545 is great but more money.

Lnk

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

If you think that husky is what you need, then definitely go with an Echo. Better saw than the homeowner husky, not as fast as either still or husky pro saws. The japanese make a good saw.

dall

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Finding new parts for non-current models can get kind of sketchy right now. For example, I have an 036-project getting lined up and the owner tells me he cannot find and or order a new intake boot for one from his dealer, as Stihl is out of stock for the time being.
It would seem with all the layoffs and new focus on green equipment to be made, that making new parts for old models isn't a high priority.
What computer? Currently the only saw with an onboard microprocessor is the fuel injected 500i.

More and more new folks are going to be coming into doing firewood for heat as the economy continues to tank, and at least for now, we are going to have be flexible to in meeting new challenges.
I’m sure there are intake books around

2000ssm6

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A muff modded 261 does well with a 20” 3/8 full skip, great for limbing or needing that reach of a 20” on a light saw. Full bar buried cuts won’t be quick but possible. You are getting into 70cc saw territory then.

Once ported they are even better, crazy power out of a 50cc saw.

Check your local fb marketplace, might can find a nice 261 or 550 for a good price.

deye223

AIR FUEL SPARK VROOOOOM
Local time
7:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wouldn't recommend full skip to anyone but a very experienced operator definitely full comp territory

TurbineDoc

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My Echo PS-620 came with a 24" bar, I have a 20" and a 27" bar I swap between the 20 & 24" depending on size of trees I'm working; now depending on what you are and for how long cutting the 27" is a little much on a stock saw in my opinion, though what I read about porting & such that may be what is needed, my saw is still under 5 year warranty I'll probably be doing some power adder mods then.

I opted to go with the PS-7310 and 28" when cutting "big stuff" I encounter in my Disaster relief Ministry work, looks like I will be heading East this weekend to deploy with a team in FL or GA helping folks over that way following the hurricane.

I "snipped" this image from Echo's web page running a16-24" easy peasy for my 620; side benefit & if you are working solo; having a 2nd bar chain comes in handy, if you "stick your saw" take the engine off of the stuck bar/chain, use the other bar/chain to un-stuck yerself .

1693415684021.png

r7000

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
after that comment gonna make it 4 threads, and buy a cs-310

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe we need to turn the clock back a few years. A saw that outsold about any other around here was the Stihl Farm Boss (029, 290). It would pull both a 16" and a 20" bar. Most of the guys that bring in one of these saws for me to service run a 20", and I keep telling them to drop down to an 18" bar. But, they never seem to do that. They insist that a 290 will pull a 20" bar any day as long as they keep using 0.325" pitch chain. I stopped arguing with them.
1693436432604.png

ammoaddict

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Maybe we need to turn the clock back a few years. A saw that outsold about any other around here was the Stihl Farm Boss (029, 290). It would pull both a 16" and a 20" bar. Most of the guys that bring in one of these saws for me to service run a 20", and I keep telling them to drop down to an 18" bar. But, they never seem to do that. They insist that a 290 will pull a 20" bar any day as long as they keep using 0.325" pitch chain. I stopped arguing with them.
View attachment 388447
Well, McDonald's sells more hamburgers than anyone else. That doesn't mean they are the best, just good advertising and easy availability.

Woodslasher

Teh debil
Local time
2:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I can't stress enough what trash the homeowner Husqvarnas are like the 435/440/445/450s.
I'm not talking about the Husqvarna pro XP line
You can go to virtually any pro saw even stihls and you'll be amazed at the performance increase over any modern poulan.
They aren't phenomenal saws, but I personally know at least 2 guys who've used a 445 for their primary firewood saws for ~15 years with zero real issues. I know 1 needed a fuel line or filter a few years ago, but that's it outside of wear items.