High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Olympyk 999f opinions??

SawSeeker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I went to look at a 660 for sale today but it wasn't in good condition for the asking price. While I was there he offered the 999f to me. I'm looking for a stumping saw that I can also mill with occasionally. Has anyone had any experience with this saw good or bad?

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Agree on hard to find parts. I've been looking for one for years. Hard to come by esp. in my area. Nobody here has even heard of an Olympyk/Efco.
Shep

SawSeeker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Agree on hard to find parts. I've been looking for one for years. Hard to come by esp. in my area. Nobody here has even heard of an Olympyk/Efco.
Shep
I'm definitely having trouble finding info on it. It might not be a good choice if I can't find parts if need be.

Lee H

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
2:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Whats the seller asking for it.

SawSeeker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Whats the seller asking for it.
450. Hard to tell what it's worth when there are no others around.

USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm definitely having trouble finding info on it. It might not be a good choice if I can't find parts if need be.

Might be a wise way of looking at this saw...if parts availability is next to non-existent. But don't you fret nor sweat that Olympyk 999...and if you don't pack and leave this forum now, you'll be the proud new owner of a dozen saws by this time next year anyhow, if it even takes that long. Your PayPal account's gonna do wonders here and hate you all at the same time! :eek:

...and welcome aboard!

SawSeeker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Might be a wise way of looking at this saw...if parts availability is next to non-existent. But don't you fret nor sweat that Olympyk 999...and if you don't pack and leave this forum now, you'll be the proud new owner of a dozen saws by this time next year anyhow, if it even takes that long. Your PayPal account's gonna do wonders here and hate you all at the same time! :eek:

...and welcome aboard!
I can see this happening as well. I go out looking for a particular saw and come back with two others that are nothing like what I was searching for. Unfortunately, you never stop looking for the original saw so the cycle continues.

SawSeeker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Don't let that kind of logic interfere with buying a chainsaw.
True. Rare saws draw you in and shy you away at the same time.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've had a 999 before. They take a large mount stihl bar like the 084/880. They are pretty heavy but can run a long bar pretty decent. Most of the ones I've seen have had homemade spikes as the stock ones where not great for dogging in.
Is this the olympyk with the fast back cover over the thin filter or is it the later model with the big filter and bumped out cover?

SawSeeker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've had a 999 before. They take a large mount stihl bar like the 084/880. They are pretty heavy but can run a long bar pretty decent. Most of the ones I've seen have had homemade spikes as the stock ones where not great for dogging in.
Is this the olympyk with the fast back cover over the thin filter or is it the later model with the big filter and bumped out cover?
This one has a fast back cover. Also comes with a 36" bar 404 chain.

SawSeeker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
450 is not a bad price if it's in decent shape. Check piston before buying it.
If you pass on it I may be interested.
I'll keep you posted.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
3:07 PM
User ID
Reaction score
True. Rare saws draw you in and shy you away at the same time.

Meh? The beauty of that is that you can refer to it as a "collector" saw, so it doesn't really count in your total number of saws. If the warden starts making comments.

My Poulan 4900, Olympyk 272F, 300th Anniversary 61, and a couple others are here for that reason.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
John Lambert AKA Gypo logger and about a hundred other aliases had one of those .I ran it ,did fine .There had to be 3 or 4 guys tinker with that thing and I don't remember how many people had owned it .The most talked about chainsaw ever on the internet .If I'm not mistaken it's the same bore and stroke of a 2100 Husqvarna and p-100 Partner .Fact I think it takes the same piston rings .The rest of the parts I have no idea .

SawSeeker

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
John Lambert AKA Gypo logger and about a hundred other aliases had one of those .I ran it ,did fine .There had to be 3 or 4 guys tinker with that thing and I don't remember how many people had owned it .The most talked about chainsaw ever on the internet .If I'm not mistaken it's the same bore and stroke of a 2100 Husqvarna and p-100 Partner .Fact I think it takes the same piston rings .The rest of the parts I have no idea .
Thanks for the info. I'm going to really check it out next time I'm in that area. I'll probably pick it up just because it is so rare. If I don't keep it someone ( Lee) will want it.

srcarr52

Shop rat, backyard slice cutter.
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

The 999 has the same bore size as the 2100/395 but has a 41mm stroke instead of 40. Landing it at 101cc. Actually the 999 that I owned had a 395 piston in it since I couldn't find a new 999 piston at a decent price.