Not open for further replies.

Genius

First member of ASlite to receive a infraction
Local time
7:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
i have one house that got trex over wood. whom ever did it forgot to put the spacers inbetween the boards. fast forward 10 years, its a mess. boards popping up and buckling. they are rippung it all out tgis year and doing it again. its a monstrosity of a deck.

I see they make thin composat boards that you can go directly over existing wood.

Seems like a retarded way to do things.

Taking a few extra hours to pull the old boards and do it right the first time....

I am discovering why we held off on putting a deck on for the past 7 years.... These things ain't cheap. I want to do it right the first time so I don't need to ever do this again.

the GOAT

87, k2 40:1
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
A lot of people have a real hatred for the plastic/composite woods. I had one person that wanted the painted pine trim around her garage door replaced because the bottom had started to detoriate.

I talked her into using azek and painted it to match. From 10' it was impossible to tell it was plastic wood. A year later I was back for another small project and it still looked as good as the day as I installed it. But she couldn't stand having it on her house and had me replace it with real wood.

I've stopped trying to talk people into composite either they want it or don't. Doesn't really matter to me.

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ours is only going to be 14x20.

If they weren't so expensive I'd make my whole back yard a giant deck so u don't need to mow.

Maybe every year I'll keep adding onto the patio so eventually our whole yard will be concrete.

Or I'll get Jimmy and Chris out here and pave everything :D

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A lot of people have a real hatred for the plastic/composite woods. I had one person that wanted the painted pine trim around her garage door replaced because the bottom had started to detoriate.

I talked her into using azek and painted it to match. From 10' it was impossible to tell it was plastic wood. A year later I was back for another small project and it still looked as good as the day as I installed it. But she couldn't stand having it on her house and had me replace it with real wood.

I've stopped trying to talk people into composite either they want it or don't. Doesn't really matter to me.

Azek is some good stuff. I have some buddies who put that in

But dang, that's more than this cheap ass farmer can do

junkman

Crush it
Local time
4:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@huskihl and any other builders

Is the bottom board that sits on top of a foundation of a building supposed to be treated?
Yes

On your deck a new thing they are doing is putting these plastic 1/2 inch spacers between the ledger board and the house to let air behind the board ,saves from rotting the house
They are like a little hockey puck with a hole in the middle for the lag bolt
Word-R502.2.2-2-color.jpg

Spaced-Deck-Ledger-Detail.jpg

Genius

Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This was the first time Ive used composite. Really nice stuff to work with. View attachment 19742

I have been looking at that composite deck furniture too. But you need to donate 1 1/2 kidneys and a liver to be able to afford a set.

I have not worked with the composite boards themselves yet, so I don't know how well they rip in half or what they look like if you take a router to them.
I'd like to know if that deck furniture is all molded pieces, or if it's all made like a standard adirondack chair like you'd make one out of standard lumber.

Status
Not open for further replies.