High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

DOLMAR/MAKITA Newer PS-7910 Needs Some Help

PrairieMan

Active OPE Member
Local time
3:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I acquired a new carryover 2012 Dolmar PS-7910 in 2018. I’ve put about 10 tanks of premium fuel through it, enjoyed every minute of its smooth operation cutting a lot of birch trees (hot knife through butter), then it sat in the shop for about 8-9 months. I had Seafoam in the gas, but didn’t start it up and run it for the past 6 months. It’s now hard to start, runs like crud, eventually runs out of fuel, dies, and produces a white tipped spark plug. I had a local shop clean the carb, but that did not help. I’d appreciate any advice you may have.

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome!

Sounds like its running lean. Did the filter get changed?

Was the Carb tuned in the wood?

PrairieMan

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Welcome!

Sounds like its running lean. Did the filter get changed?

Was the Carb tuned in the wood?
I’ll ask if the filter was changed. Definitely not tuned in wood. Is there a “how to” on tuning so I can do it? It’s a Stihl dealer who’s giving it TLC. This may be the first Dolmar he’s ever seen. Thanks for your help/advice.

huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
4:24 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Check that the impulse line from the top of the carb to the bottom right if the cylinder hasn't come off.

And pull the limiters off the carb screws, remove the stops, and reinsert them

PrairieMan

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Check that the impulse line from the top of the carb to the bottom right if the cylinder hasn't come off.

And pull the limiters off the carb screws, remove the stops, and reinsert them
Will do. Thanks. Any hidden Dolmar shops in Minnesota, Wisconsin or South Dakota?

Dub11

Saw R skeery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Skipped right over MN to an experienced dealer in Dresser, WI: Boyd’s Outdoor Power
Thanks fellas for the advice and a shop who’s very familiar with this fine machine. Over and out.

Just a thought, are you going to ship it to Wisconsin or drive it there?
The reason I ask is @Stump Shot lives in northern Wisconsin. He also ports saws too. Maybe contact him.

PrairieMan

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
The logistics are a little complicated because the saw hangs out a cabin 300 miles from me. I’ll puck it up today from a local Stihl shop in northern MN. They did some tinkering on it this week. I’ll provide an update this evening.

Last edited:

PrairieMan

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Good news. The local Stihl shop got the Dolmar running like a top. I asked the guy to spend more time with it and he did. The cold start was good. Sailed through dozens of cuts on a fallen pine tree this afternoon. Wide open in wood is very good. It’s back (and so is building forearm muscle)! Warm start is pretty good. I’ll give it a better workout tomorrow.