mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
1:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I got my McCulloch 35 old chainsaw running today . Now I need a chain. The one on it is to long by 1-2 links .It is a 16 inch bar .Spec sheet says Oregon 21 or Mcculloch pintail . Chain pitch 1/2 in . Can anyone help me with finding a chain or suggest where I go look. Can't wait to cut some wood with this old thing. Thank you

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:19 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1/2" chain comes up on e-bay every so often as do the links in case you wanted to remove a link or two .You also might think of finding a spur in .404 chain size which also pops up too on occasion .If I'm not mistaken Oregon 21 is not 1/2" Oregon 10 is .The old chain should have some numbers on it some place .
I have a partial roll of number 10 plus a few loops of Homelite branded 1/2" which being a collector I really don't want to part with .However if you want I can get the numbers from the Homelite stuff to help in the search .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep in mind when that model 35 was made and the small displacement of the engine .More than likely it has a high ratio gear reduction so it's not going to be a speed demon .My brother in law has one and I've operated it .It's a collectors saw .I have a Lombard of the same vintage but slightly more engine .It cuts,slow but steady and sure would beat the other option ,a cross cut saw .Chain it up and enjoy it .

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Show and tell .A couple of gear drive sprockets (spurs ) to give an idea of size .right to left .404 eight tooth ,middle 1/2" seven tooth ,left 1/2" eight tooth .I made that one .
An 8 tooth .404 is almost as large as a 7 tooth 1/2" so the chain speed would be almost the same .With a .404 the kerf would be less and it most likely would cut easier than 1/2" .
Plus the fact you can find .404 chain even in .058 gauge if you look hard enough .1/2" isn't always easy to find .--just a thought

Attachments

• DSCN0594.JPG
    DSCN0594.JPG
    149.7 KB · Views: 10