High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

My next saw project at work: 394xp circa 1998

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
2:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Well, my 2002 346xp overhaul went very well and the saw has been working great for me up in the bucket truck. It is now my go-to saw when limbing down a tree and because that saw is back in service my ground crew has a good reliable 550xp to use when they need to cut something. You may ask why I would pick an old 346 over a new 550..well.... why would I pick my '78 Chevy K-10 over the '06 Silverado?? Anyway, before the 346 was brought back into service the ground crew was stuck with a pair of ms290 Stihls that have been kind of troublesome for us...

Anyway, we had yet another saw that was remanded to the shelf due to unreliability, an old 394xp. The chief complaint was that when it was laid on it's side to flush off a large roadside maple stalk, it would quit and refuse to re-fire. So I told the boss that given the age and hours on the saw, a crank bearing-up overhaul would probably be prudent. I ran a compression check and it came in a somewhat anemic 130psi.

2 days ago, I was given the green light to go ahead and pull the top end to assess what exactly would be needed. I found that the piston was scored pretty good, one ring was stuck, and some aluminum transfer was present in the cylinder. I found the smoking gun for the reason the piston sustained damage, one of the two intake flange bolts was MISSING! I don't know how or why one of those bolts would be missing, but I'll be a monkey's uncle if that isn't the reason for the piston damage and the reason the saw became unreliable.

So I made up a slotted mandrel out of a 1/4" bolt, wrapped 2' of sand paper strip up in it, chucked it up into our pneumatic die grinder, and gave it the Mastermind treatment. The design of the lower transfers on the 394 cylinder made it a little more difficult to clean all of the aluminum transfer out, but I got it. But in the process, some of the port window edges got a little extra "beveling"... I don't think it will be a problem though...

So now, I have ordered a new Metoer 394 spec piston, bearings, seals, gaskets, carb kit, and intake spacer. Parts came in at under $150 total, not to bad for resurrecting a badass 394! :)

Here are a couple of pics of the cylinder after I cleaned it...You can see where the sandpaper took some material away from the port edge... I think I might bring that cylinder home and dress that up a bit.

IMG_20160404_112215576.jpg IMG_20160404_112151202.jpg

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I'll most likely delete the base gasket on this build, but being that this saw belongs to my employer I think I will stop at the base gasket delete for mods to this saw.

But man I'm tempted to do a little bit of grinding! :D

Jimmy in NC

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll most likely delete the base gasket on this build, but being that this saw belongs to my employer I think I will stop at the base gasket delete for mods to this saw.

But man I'm tempted to do a little bit of grinding! :D
Doesnt take much. Unshield the lowers a bit, little widen on the exhaust, slight widen intake..run it.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Wow!!

I assume "inclusion" means a flaw in the casting, and air pocket of sorts?? That's kind of disheartening!

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I just came to the realization that my hot start issue was not the know vapor lock issue. When milling, between cuts the saw was acting like it was loading up real bad. Missing alot during idle. Adjusted with the L tune several times to no avail. Had a thought that maybe the slow flywheel wasn't cooling the coil, so I ordered a huztl cheapie. Low and behold it solved all my issues. If ya have any problems similar (with high heat soak and no refire), suspect an old coil.

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, the 394 lives!!!

Yesterday I tore it all down to bare cases and cleaned everything in the parts wash tank. Pressed out the old bearings and using a MAPP gas torch I heated the bearing bores in the case halves to install the new bearings. They didn't even require the press to be fully seated, I just pushed them in with my finger. I put the crankshaft into the freezer and left it there overnight to aid in assembly today. I wanted to make sure it would be as cold as possible for bottom end assembly.

Got the press all rigged up with the correct size sockets to push on the inner bearing races and went to town. The process of installing the crankshaft and assembling the case did require the use of the press, but it went together nice and smooth with the crank being frozen. No popping, creaking or anything like that...just like butter.

I did pull a bonehead and forgot to install the bar oil pickup line before installing the oil pump.. LOL!

Being that this saw belongs to my employer, I didn't break out the degree wheel and grinder. A simple base gasket delete is the only mod to this saw. Squish came in at .032".

Carb got rebuilt and metering lever height checked with my Walbro gauge. I should note that the new metering lever provided in the kit was set about .010" too high.

Put the 24" bar on that we had kicking around and got it tuned in pretty good for not having wood to stuff it into. I got the OK from the boss to bring it home with me this weekend to work it a little bit and dial it in with a normal load put to it. I will be using this in the bucket truck occasionally for when I am knocking off larger chunks that become too large for my 346 with 18" bar to handle and need a longer bar for clean single pass cuts.

Here she is, another saw that was doomed to the shelf but now will be put back in service! :) Next 394 I dig into will be my own! :D
IMG_20160413_091806827.jpg IMG_20160413_091817766.jpg IMG_20160413_093455559.jpg IMG_20160413_093510061.jpg IMG_20160413_101746222.jpg

RIDE-RED 350r

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Well, I'm going to go ahead and call this rebuild a success!

Brought the ol' '94 home with me for the weekend and worked it in some good sized hard maple. Runs strong and mean, chews through 20"-24" hard maple with authority! I love running these big saws!

Man I can't wait to get into my 394!

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love the old first gens. Wish I hadn't sold my last one. Single cab and family is hard to fit but it was mint.

hseII

AKA - Karenberly's Husband
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I love the old first gens. Wish I hadn't sold my last one. Single cab and family is hard to fit but it was mint.
My Uncle had a '92 250 4x4 5spd that was minty, except for the paint.