My Bar Groove Scraper

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A few years back I decided to improve my bar groove cleaning tool. At that time I was using a small screw driver and I thought there had to be a better way. My solution was to use a 5" length of right angle steel scrap after I found one that was 0.050" thick. I simply shaped the two ends in a hook and used four screws to fasten it to a short length of hardwood:
upload_2022-7-18_13-58-30.jpeg
It works great and gets used a lot in my shop. The .050" thickness also slides along and does a good job in 0.063" grooves. My small screwdrivers are glad that I made his. The right angle stock is plenty stiff. I thought I would pass the idea along to the forum.

Duane(Pa)

It's the chain...
GoldMember
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice! I have several things I use. The simplest is a piece of steel banding strap material. Sometimes I fold a gun cleaning patch over the end to get the goopy stuff out.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
8:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, I am sure you all did what I did before using it -- make sure that it fit inside the bar's groove. That's done either by trial and error or with a thickness gauge of some sort. My shaped oak handle seems to be more comfortable to use than a hacksaw blade. Just MHO.

Colonel 428

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:03 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Nice! I have several things I use. The simplest is a piece of steel banding strap material. Sometimes I fold a gun cleaning patch over the end to get the goopy stuff out.
Lol. I use a piece of metal banding/ hanging strap as well.