MS 390 Cylinder kits

jackjcc

Super OPE Member
Local time
11:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So this is the fourth cylinder kit I’ve ordered for the 390 from HL, over about a 4 years period. The quality seems to be dropping as the last two have looked nothing like the first two. I’m trying to build a pop up 390 but this crap is killing me. The last cylinder I had the saw mostly together to vac and pressure test it and the impulse nipple had a leak. So the newest cylinder comes out and I see this
f96c4e008f28d0aa544430058b0441cc.jpg

I though great that is fixed! But then I looked at the plating...sad face followed
99bf785b75edc431cca70353287f74f7.jpg

There are 6 holes that I can get my pick to catch on just in that photo and 3 more on the other side. I think I’m officially done with white box kits. The first two were so good though.
b4aea05065cec20b8e5a25ee315a0ec0.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
12:47 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Huztl 390 P&C I got worked fine. Won't say it was excellent or anything, but I know it is still running and the owner likes it. Price was very low.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Huztl 390 P&C I got worked fine. Won't say it was excellent or anything, but I know it is still running and the owner likes it. Price was very low.
Agreed. Great deals on their site if you're not in a hurry and just want something low buck to mess around with.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:47 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got the Huztl jug and it works fine, no defects that I noticed. I do note that the chrome liner appears very thin, so how long it holds up I can't say.

I wonder how much variation in port design these various manufacturers result in. When I look at the pictures on this site, they all look the same. Well, except for the Cross cylinder.

I don't know who designed it, but I won't try one. If someone was going to design a 'high performance' jug for one of these saws, they could have easily increased the transfer time/area by reducing the width of the bridge between the ports. That would also decrease the turbulence between the two ports.

A 10% increase in area results in approximately a 10% increase in cutting speed. Of course, you have to be able to feed that extra 10% and the stock air filter can't even feed a stock jug.

beaglebriar

The Peanut Gallery
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got the Huztl jug and it works fine, no defects that I noticed. I do note that the chrome liner appears very thin, so how long it holds up I can't say.

I wonder how much variation in port design these various manufacturers result in. When I look at the pictures on this site, they all look the same. Well, except for the Cross cylinder.

I don't know who designed it, but I won't try one. If someone was going to design a 'high performance' jug for one of these saws, they could have easily increased the transfer time/area by reducing the width of the bridge between the ports. That would also decrease the turbulence between the two ports.

A 10% increase in area results in approximately a 10% increase in cutting speed. Of course, you have to be able to feed that extra 10% and the stock air filter can't even feed a stock jug.
That crazy looking Hyway jug makes some pretty good torque with the cross pop up. I think some time spent with a foredom could make it even better.

The divider could be thinned substantially and those bridges could be tweaked as well.