MO vs paypal

rburg

Super OPE Member
Local time
6:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For those of you who buy and sell saws and parts on here, why do you prefer PayPal to a MO, and have any of you had problems with a MO? I have purchased a couple of saws and a bar with a MO, but I have also seen saws on here I am interested in been listed as PayPal only. I don't have PayPal so I was interested in hearing others experience and opinions . Thanks for your input.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
7:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I use PayPal and as a good or service. Some guys want you to use the friends and family option to avoid the 3% fee. If you do that you have no recourse if the seller doesn't follow through. I have never had to use it here, everybody is pretty straight up. But there always is and always will be that one guy.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Easy, fast, track your money, protected. If I sell or buy something that cost a good bit I ask or send money request otder with the details of purchase or item being sold. I use my PayPal account for everything now. A tap of a button on my phone and I can see my balance and activity. They also send me an email if there's any activity. I usually don't have time to go to the bank to cash mo.

Gunn

Yay sawz
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'll do postal money orders or Paypal. Either works.

Backtroller

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've been paid both ways. The money order arrived via Mail so it took a little longer to get it. I know that the buyer had to pay for the money order too. Then I had to deposit/cash it at the bank. It was more work for me and probably him too as the buyer. I like the ease of PayPal and wouldn't want the hassle of a MO to buy something.

I too have never had a problem with anyone on this site. Hope my luck continues.

t4driller

Daddy Day Care
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
But on the other hand you can spend alot with just a tap of a button. Especially when they do the deal of the day on Fridays. I always buy stuff for saws I don't own. Does that make me a PSP?? LOL

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I like it cause it's instant. I'll talk either and send a money order if need be.

Chainsaw Jim

Con Artist LLC
Local time
4:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
PayPal is the way to go for buyers. It saves you all the time and money you'd waste on a lawsuit in court. I've been burned and PayPal's buyer protection saved my ass every time. Many sellers hide damage and pretend they don't know what's up.

Landmark

Chainsaw Hack
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have sold saws both ways but when i buy its always paypal. Just time and ease of it. I prefer paypal so i dont have to wait on money but either will work.
Actually my preferred method is to meet and buyer to pay in cash.

Jon1212

Birch! Please.....
Local time
5:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I sold a lot of bars(hundreds), chain, and quite a few saws in the last couple of years. Over 98% of those transactions were done via PayPal, and as stated by others, it is very convenient. The few deals I have done where a Money Order was sent, wasn't that big of a deal for me, as the folks paying that way have been around a long while, or are part of a circle I have trust in. Besides, I was sent USPS Money Orders, so I can cash them at the PO while shipping more bars.

fordf150

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Paypal is the best for both parties if you dont know/trust them. I get a few things a week paid for with MO and its no biggie but there is a reasonable expectation of security when dealing with business. biggest thing with a MO is that it takes an extra few days till your parts/saw is on its way to you.

stihl saws

You can always justify another saw.
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Paypal is just easier, quicker and gives you more protection as a buyer. It's never a good idea to do friends & family with a unknown seller or someone with low post numbers. Problems seem to weed themselves out here pretty quick though.

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
9:08 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I like paypal, handy sometimes as you can pay something and have time next day to deposit money in the bank to cover it, sometimes though it goes through as an instant payment but not usually when transferring funds.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
With PayPal, the money shows up and you ship the item right away. With a money order, you don't actually have funds in hand until the person has time to acquire one, put it in the mail and it takes a long and circuitous route to finally arrive in your mailbox. THEN, the item is "sold" and only a "probably sold" prior to that. Then of course the money order has to be taken to be deposited. Just a lot more hassle.

I'll accommodate people that want to purchase things from me via money orders but I won't buy things that way. Not worth the hassle to me, I'll just find another item that's "easier" to acquire.

All that said, I've never used a debit card in my life. Credit cards all the time but never debit.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
4:08 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I prefer to use PP overall, but have had two MOs 'disappear' in the mail never to surface again. Just weird.

That's not too much of an issue with USPS money orders, since their tracking system is pretty good. I save the MO receipt and the original receipt which helps a lot when filing a claim.

NCFarmboy

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Always use PPal w/credit card. Double protection. I bought 4 saws $1500.00 PPal w/credit card. Was a scam credit card company covered it.
Shep