Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
The middle of the land shaped like a hand
Country flag
Thanks, you answered the million dollar question! A larger piston that is 14% lighter ... that is big news!

I would think that would put less stress on the bearings and they would last longer.
Ask long as that coating on the piston holds up…

MustangMike

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
8:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I imagine a good ceramic coating would be very durable.

If fact, I think Stihl was saying that this piston usually does not need to be replaced if you have a lean burn.

Not sure how you would know if there is no transfer on the cylinder???

farminkarman

I like the red & black ones
GoldMember
Local time
7:15 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wonder how the saw will react to increasing compression because magnesium doesn't conduct heat as much as aluminum.
Higher compression ratios do cause an increase in the charge temperature right before combustion, but the combustion itself happens more efficiently with less heat loss to the piston & cylinder. So, don’t assume that higher compression in a chainsaw is going to make more heat in the cylinder. A higher average power output that a ported saw can produce would be a bigger cause of extra heat. Going back to compression…those of you who have messed with Diesel engines have probably observed that they can be difficult to warm up in cold weather. This is because Diesel engines with their high compression ratios lose less heat to the cylinder wall and head (one of the big reasons they are more efficient than a gasoline engine).