High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Kawasaki FH680V Crankshaft Seal Question

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
1:55 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Hi, a few weeks ago I replaced the lower crankshaft seal on the Kawasaki FH680V engine on my zero turn. I installed the seal flush as I thought that is what the service manual said. However after going through manual again working on another Kawasaki FH engine I noticed I had read incorrectly and the flywheel side seal should be flush to 1mm recessed, but the pto side seal should be 1mm to 2mm recessed.

It's been a few mowings since and I don't have any leaks, but I can't help but wonder if I should pull the clutch back off and recess the seal correctly, install another brand new seal, or just leave it alone as long as it's not leaking. I guess my biggest worry would be having it spit the seal out.

What do y'all think?

1Snowcat

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
11:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it's not broke don't mess with it, how mad would you be if you change the seal and it happens to leak after you go to the trouble of changing it? Id keep an eye on it for leaks but, a 1-2 mm difference isn't much. I'd chance it but that's me, if you lay awake at night wondering if it's going to leak by all means tear it back apart...
My vote is send it!

Shane¹

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think it would be fine flush I would send it.

racerjohnbf

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Yeah that's pretty much what I figured. My main concern would be the seal backing back out more so than just leaking a little again. I'll just keep and eye on it to make sure it doesn't move any.

Thanks