High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Just a reminder to work safe in the tree and firewood world...

Uzi

Super OPE Member
Local time
10:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This didn’t happen in a tree or from a saw but a reminder to be safe at work regardless. I knocked a bead off of my skid loader tire going to load some firewood. Put a ratchet strap around the tire in the shop to reseat it. Worked perfectly as it has the 100 other times I’ve done it to all kinds of tires. When I put the valve core in and released the strap to finish airing up it slammed my hand between the handle and the tire. I made it from my shop into my house without passing out. Got my wife up from a nap and she got me to the ER very quickly. I lost a lot of blood but just missed completely severing my tendons. Doc said it was very lucky. I’ll be down awhile and get behind on a job we were in the middle of. Luckily I’ve got some great employees that will pick up the slack and run the bucket for me. I’ll probably be stuck on the ground in a loader or running the chipper. Plus working extra to pay the medical bills when I heal up. All over something that was completely preventable, pay attention and work safe.
AE45A831-28A2-4BC7-A3ED-5B5C7C5265F6.jpeg B84414B1-1201-4311-951F-7E31FFAD373C.jpeg 4D1A816A-6917-46EA-A1BB-0504AEB63674.jpeg F91F5191-CF6D-4956-A07E-F108FE89CD10.jpeg ED81CA99-B622-4A04-98F7-98F24EF3B1EA.jpeg

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FU©K that looks like it hurt!! I can't believe you managed to get a picture of that. So, there was enough tension on the strap that when you released the catch it basically acted like a trap? I use those straps pretty often, so I want to be sure I understand this correctly. Did you have your right hand on the tire and use your left hand to open the strap?

GWS man! And thanks for the reminder. All it takes is a second to really hurt yourself.

sixonetonoffun

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Man that sucks. Lucky it wasn't your head.

Have used that method and the old chain and binder. All it takes is one time to go wrong.

As a kid we used lighter fluid, starting fluid. Just dumb luck no one ever got hurt or worse.

Glad you have a good crew and support at home!

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
11:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Damn! I work in an environment where every human performance issue and every injury is preventable. The safety culture is so strong it's actually surprising anything gets done. However, at the end of the day the only thing that matters is making it home the same away you left. So for as big of a pain in the ass it is, its worth every minute to stop, think, act, review and question the worst case outcome. Heal up and taken care.

Uzi

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
FU©K that looks like it hurt!! I can't believe you managed to get a picture of that. So, there was enough tension on the strap that when you released the catch it basically acted like a trap? I use those straps pretty often, so I want to be sure I understand this correctly. Did you have your right hand on the tire and use your left hand to open the strap?

GWS man! And thanks for the reminder. All it takes is a second to really hurt yourself.

No just reached with that hand and tripped the release my other hand was out of the way holding up the tire. The top corner of the ratchet is what caused the tear.

Ryan Browne

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
No just reached with that hand and tripped the release my other hand was out of the way holding up the tire. The top corner of the ratchet is what caused the tear.

Okay, so you didn't open the handle all the way to release the catch, but instead reached in and did it manually?

Uzi

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Okay, so you didn't open the handle all the way to release the catch, but instead reached in and did it manually?
I can’t remember if I pushed the handle all the way back or just grabbed the release manually. It happened so fast I didn’t even feel pain at first. Just saw the blood start pumping onto the shop floor. The adrenaline that kicked in when I saw all my tendons moving inside the wound makes my memories a little fuzzy.

birdmeter

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
man we can get hurt bad so easy. it wont ever happen to you again .i never thought would happen on a ratchet strap.omg.hope you heal up ok.

sixonetonoffun

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We had a near miss today. Pulling over a tree and strap snapped took out rear window of the tractor. Driver was lucky!

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
F. That’s nasty. I use ratchet straps at work when I can’t get a tire bead to seat (motorcycle shop). Looking back, what would you do differently to prevent it?

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
F. That’s nasty. I use ratchet straps at work when I can’t get a tire bead to seat (motorcycle shop). Looking back, what would you do differently to prevent it?
I'll let the OP speak for himself but I would let the air out of the tire after you got the bead seated and before you attempt to undo the strap. I'd be concerned about the strap holding as you inflate the tire. Compressed air can store a lot of energy in an object. Especially because a ratchet strap does not strech like a tire. You could have got the bead seated and only had 10 psi in the tire and it could let go and hit you in the head. No recovery from that.

Here is a 2 minute drill card we use before we do work in the field. It's meant to engage you mind and take action to prevent accidents. If you stop and go through this card and answer the questions honestly and out loud you will realize how stupid some of the things we do actually are.
20180206_194637.jpg
20180206_194653.jpg

Uzi

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I would get pliers or a screwdriver to release the ratchet strap. This tire had very very little air pressure in it when I released the strap but I had tightened the strap down really tight to get the bead pushed out. The tire had been outside in the snow and was super cold and not pliable. If I had to do over again I would have used a bigger strap off my log truck too. Bigger handle and a wider thicker strap would not have stretched so much and had such a rubber band effect. The bottom line is if I’d just paid more attention and kept my hand out of the dangerous spot this wouldn’t have happened.

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I agree 100% with Marshy.
I allways let the air out and release the strap before I install the valve core.

If the bead pops off when the air is let out, I tighten the strap again to seat the bead, and only give a squirt or two of air before releasing the strap and installing the valve core. Only need a pound or two to keep it seated

Uzi, I am glad that you posted this up, but I wish it didnt happen to you. Hopefully you can recover quickly and get back to work.

RI Chevy

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Sorry to hear. Hopefully you heal quickly and get back to 100%.
Thank you for sharing with us.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That could have been your end. Had that cut the artery, you likely would have passed out from loss of blood and if no one knew first aid, the ambulance or whatever would not have saved you. I severed the artery on my left forearm in 1971 and filled the whole kitchen floor with blood, passed out, and luckily the ambulance got there on time. My neighbor called the ambulance and passed out from the sight while trying to help me. They took him to the hospital also.

Thank God you are still alive.

cre73

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Damn, I'm not usually squeamish but give a guy a little warning (graphic). That is bad, looks like it could of been much worse. Good luck on your recovery!

Last edited: