USMC615

Fapper Fi
GoldMember
Local time
11:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always known 10 minutes to be the benchmark for welder duty cycle ratings...what I've always read and been told anyhow. Line side/input voltage is the largest factor...take a dual voltage welder at 30% duty cycle on 220V at a nominal amp output, you may get 20% duty cycle at best on 110V, and drop half or better the amps with the same welder.

redpete79

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
10:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
eastwood sells decent welders and plasma cutters for the money... they also offer some good deals around Christmas or if you email their sales, they normally will throw in free shipping at times. ive been happy with my welder and plasma cutter. just something else to look at eastwood.com

Deets066

AKA Deetsey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've always known 10 minutes to be the benchmark for welder duty cycle ratings...what I've always read and been told anyhow. Line side/input voltage is the largest factor...take a dual voltage welder at 30% duty cycle on 220V at a nominal amp output, you may get 20% duty cycle at best on 110V, and drop half or better the amps with the same welder.
You are correct

Louiesdad

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
In my garage are a Miller 350 mig with an aluma pro additional torch, my Miller Dynasty 200 tig with aluminum argon bottles of AR and Helium, and my good old oxy/act setup that can cover just about anything from .o75 to 1.0 thick.

I have 25' torches and 50' foot 220 lead extension cords to get just about any where.

Buy the biggest you can afford or go used to get more power and you will never regret the investment.

Buy HIGH quality or do not waste your money, welds can cost you your life.

My welders have paid for themselves many times over.

Just 2 years ago when a log rolled on my Featherlight trailer the aluma pro gun paid 200% of its cost.

My having the ability to replace a portion of the ibeam aluminum Aframe allowed me to pocket 3k of the repair cost.

Making my own engine stand for 4000 lb marine engines out of salvaged metal saved me 5k over the cost of buying an OTC stand.

Firing up the ole torch to encourage parts apart has saved my press many of seals.

Those are just a couple of projects my stuff has done to pay for themselves.

As a final note you can always adjust a welder down in power, not so the other way. Buy the biggest you have room to store and you will be way ahead of the harbor freight wanna bees.

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
In my garage are a Miller 350 mig with an aluma pro additional torch, my Miller Dynasty 200 tig with aluminum argon bottles of AR and Helium, and my good old oxy/act setup that can cover just about anything from .o75 to 1.0 thick.

I have 25' torches and 50' foot 220 lead extension cords to get just about any where.

Buy the biggest you can afford or go used to get more power and you will never regret the investment.

Buy HIGH quality or do not waste your money, welds can cost you your life.

My welders have paid for themselves many times over.

Just 2 years ago when a log rolled on my Featherlight trailer the aluma pro gun paid 200% of its cost.

My having the ability to replace a portion of the ibeam aluminum Aframe allowed me to pocket 3k of the repair cost.

Making my own engine stand for 4000 lb marine engines out of salvaged metal saved me 5k over the cost of buying an OTC stand.

Firing up the ole torch to encourage parts apart has saved my press many of seals.

Those are just a couple of projects my stuff has done to pay for themselves.

I totally agree with everything here. I just dont do anything that heavy. And i still need it to be a dual voltage welder.

N8TE

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Stick with a quality brand like Lincoln, Miller or ESAB

Those ESAB units look really nice. I've been looking for a new rig and their EM or EMP 235 unit maybe just the ticket for me.

Louiesdad

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
If you look at the prices used premium welding equipment brings, you may see it pays to either go red or blue....

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some of the green stuff(Everlast) that’s about 5 years old a 250 amp tig and a 80 plasma that’s never missed a lick. Now is it as nice as a dynasty no but it gets the job down and the work out the door. The last big project I did with the plasma was building a forwarder extension to haul 37’ logs all the time from memory it was over 60’ of welds 5/8” plate that I hand cut without ever touching the duty cycle at a tenth of the price of the big names.
765db9860dbbd57f481813709495d2b9.jpg
e7c5cbeb8357f5c47d0ad4ec30edd783.jpg

Now to the actual process, hardwire mig is a very light duty you’re never sure if you actually get penetration. For a good sound weld look into dual shield flux core it’s like a 7018 you aren’t wondering if it’s in there, for a machine that will for sure run it is that 210MP by Lincoln in 035 wire size.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Larry B

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I thought i was a pretty decent welder till my son's friend came over to give me some tips on mig welding. He is a graduate of the Hobart welding school then spent 5 years mig welding certified pressure vessels and now teaches mig welding at the Hobart school. His stuff looks like a machine did it. Makes mine look like pure crap. He said they don't use the new synergetic machines at school. Students have to make settings manually. He thought my Lincoln MP210 was a really nice machine. He showed me a lot but a grinder and paint still makes me the welder i ain't. But at least i can stick weld better than him. The 210 is a great machine but when i need to bust some heavy rust on plate i drag out the old 300 amp buzz box and some 5/32 6011.

Last edited:

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
now to the actual process, hardwire mig is a very light duty you’re never sure if you actually get penetration.

You hit the nail on the head for me. All i do with the mig is light duty repair. 1/8" or less in thickness. My wife uses it more than i do for her hobby sculptures. I would love to have 3 to 4 times the budget to get a "never need another welder again" machine but its more than ill ever use. Cant tell the future but ill cross that bridge when or if i get there.

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
What would you knowledgable fellas recommend for just starting out, someone who knows nothing about welding but needs to in a hurry? Asking for a friend.;)

Budget around $500

Skeans1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:43 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What would you knowledgable fellas recommend for just starting out, someone who knows nothing about welding but needs to in a hurry? Asking for a friend.;)

Look into welding tips and tricks on YouTube lots of great info there for anyone.

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Look into welding tips and tricks on YouTube lots of great info there for anyone.

Yeah, I've been watching a lot of those videos but there are way too many different opinions for way too many applications for just a starter set and it confuses the hell outa me :BangHead:.

I have a couple old dodge and furd turds laying around that need some tlc, but I don't want to get into them without being able to fix the parts that need welding, e.g. leaf brackets, shock mounts, cracked frame, etc, etc. And unfortunately I can't afford to pay someone to do it. But its something new for me to learn is how I look at it.

Louiesdad

OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Take a class(es) at a local community college. Burn up their supplies......learn what works on/with what.....

I did that myself about 5 years ago, to perfect welding ss pipe overhead, they put me off in a corner and I went thru 4 large bottles of gas and at least 10 lbs of ss wire in 3 weeks. The materials cost more than the tuition. My personal welder was higher grade than schools and it flat proved the difference quality eq made to me.

Last edited:

Boots

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Take a class(es) at a local community college. Burn up their supplies......learn what works on/with what.....

I did that myself about 5 years ago, to perfect welding ss pipe overhead, they put me off in a corner and I went thru 4 large bottles of gas and at least 10 lbs of ss wire in 3 weeks. The materials cost more than the tuition. My personal welder was higher grade than schools and it flat proved the difference quality eq made to me.
Thats a good f-in idea, I will look into that.