Husqvarna 61 Build - 630 super / 162 closed port hybrid

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
5:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Boomer2230 - Great news! And good job for sticking with it. Sometimes these saws will kick and scream when you try and get them back in order. It's like breaking a horse or something, lol.

For the oil pump, these have a plastic gear that is actually spaced to the metal horizontal gear on the oil pump housing via how "proud" (deep) the crank oil seal is on the pump housing. It needs to be proud .035 to .040 (sticking that far out towards the crank bearing). If it's flush it can pile up that plastic oil pump gear. If that doesn't make sense, send me a PM and I can help you further! Also there should be a small oring on the back top corner of the pump housing where the oil exits. Just a few things to look at.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thread update. Awesome news on the saw performance after porting. I did some new test cuts against the ms440 clone saw. I'm editing the video now and will upload and post here tomorrow morning. Very exciting.

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Boomer2230 - Great news! And good job for sticking with it. Sometimes these saws will kick and scream when you try and get them back in order. It's like breaking a horse or something, lol.

For the oil pump, these have a plastic gear that is actually spaced to the metal horizontal gear on the oil pump housing via how "proud" (deep) the crank oil seal is on the pump housing. It needs to be proud .035 to .040 (sticking that far out towards the crank bearing). If it's flush it can pile up that plastic oil pump gear. If that doesn't make sense, send me a PM and I can help you further! Also there should be a small oring on the back top corner of the pump housing where the oil exits. Just a few things to look at.
Yea, the 61 oiler is missing the output rubber o ring

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noticed the saw wasn't snapping off of idle like it used to so I did a pressure and vacuum test. I found a big airleak in the carb intake block. It's cracked in a couple of spots.

Happy to find a problem. I was thinking it was my imagination playing with me that the saw was running a bit different.

Screenshot_20220223-070349_Gallery.jpg

Also, just in case anyone comes across this thread and is wondering how to do a pressure test. I made a video on my channel.

Last edited:

Johnmn

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I noticed the saw wasn't snapping off of idle like it used to so I did a pressure and vacuum test. I found a big airleak in the carb intake block. It's cracked in a couple of spots.

Happy to find a problem. I was thinking it was my imagination playing with me that the saw was running a bit different.

View attachment 328259
Not an abnormal problem, especially with a saw of that a age.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, I went down a rabbit hole trying to find the right intake block to work. 266 blocks are a bit easier to find but I got confused if the 266 block uses the short sleeved m4 or the short m5. The short answer is that they used both! It depends on the year.

This may be interesting to husky 200 series guys. Most of what I found say the 266 intake blocks are the same as the 66,162, and 630. This is true if the 266 block is 1987 or prior. It's not true if 1988 and later!

Part numbers

1988 and later 266 uses block 503492401 with the m4 carb bolt - 503496902

1987 and earlier 266 uses block 501511803 with the m5 carb bolt - 501777901

You can use any 266 block on any 66,162,630 or 266 regardless of the years, so long as you have the right carb bolts to match the block .

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@davidwyby - Dang! If only I had pressure tested before we made our deal. I found one for $4 on chainsawr. I did have to source some m4 266 bolts though, but no big deal.

Boomer2230

Super OPE Member
Local time
7:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks like it will work out nice. The bar on my 61 is bent, an aftermarket one was cheap so I ordered one. I'm thinking I might use some of the bent bar to make a full wrap for mine, just weld one to the other.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks like it will work out nice. The bar on my 61 is bent, an aftermarket one was cheap so I ordered one. I'm thinking I might use some of the bent bar to make a full wrap for mine, just weld one to the other.

Sweet! That would be cool!. Even though mine isn't perfect, there is something to be said for making it your own. Welding this one would make it a lot less clumsy to deal with.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok - getting back into this. All of March I didn't mess with saws, but I am back!

One of my best friends has asked me to build him a 61 with a 272 top end. So to get out of my funk and start building again I decided to finally advance the ignition timing on this one (plus a whole lot more....will update later on that one.... but it's gonna be pretty sweet)

The goal is to get the throttle response better. My clone 440 (which I compare this to for some dum reason) has a lot better response, especially right off idle.

I cut the key and I over shot it. It's measuring 9 degrees of rotational advance, I was shooting for 6 degrees. Key was .1150, I cut the slot to .0750 so .040 cut. I'm still going to try it, but I have another key ordered. I will update more towards Monday when I am back in town.

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Got it finished up and made some test cuts. The saw is pulling harder in the cut for sure, especially dogged in, that was a pretty big improvement. As far as throttle response, it did improve how fast the saw revs up and how snappy it feels. Worth the time and effort on these saws to do this even though it doesn't turn it into the crazy response on say a 462 or 500i.

Also, I was surprised .040 cut off the key worked. I fulled was expecting it to ping.

Last edited:

slackinoff

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I have an announcement. That about sums up this saw. It's a really strong 61 cc saw for sure.....but I want more out of this one.

My friend want's me to build him one, but a 272. I found a super nice 1988 61 for cheap missing the carb and with low compression, which is perfect. I could not convince him to go with an OEM 272 cylinder, he decided on the cheaper hyway titanikel.

He knows I procrastinate, so he sent me money to obligate me into building his, lol. BUT - I also purchased a brand new OEM 272 cylinder and piston for my saw. I am excited.

Long story short after I build his, I am going to be putting an OEM 272 cylinder on this one.

Maintenance Chief

Disrupting the peace with an old chainsaw
Local time
6:55 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok I have an announcement. That about sums up this saw. It's a really strong 61 cc saw for sure.....but I want more out of this one.

My friend want's me to build him one, but a 272. I found a super nice 1988 61 for cheap missing the carb and with low compression, which is perfect. I could not convince him to go with an OEM 272 cylinder, he decided on the cheaper hyway titanikel.

He knows I procrastinate, so he sent me money to obligate me into building his, lol. BUT - I also purchased a brand new OEM 272 cylinder and piston for my saw. I am excited.

Long story short after I build his, I am going to be putting an OEM 272 cylinder on this one.

I think you'd be better served preserving the work you put into this 61 and finding a smoked 61,66,268,272 ,There has to be a few guys sitting on a project they aren't gonna get into.
I traded a 66 for some parts 2 years ago. After finding it in a dumpster.