High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

husqvarna 372 problems

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
I have a husqvarna 372 not good compression but the saw start and run perfecty the problem is that after about half or more hour of work the saw start to react and finally die
then its dificult to start or not even start

i test the saw for leaks when its cold and when its hot imediatelly after the problem
the coil work when the saw is hot
vent systems work corectly before and after the problem

i wonder if have something to do with the compression

thanks

Frank bierce

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
3:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Not good compression is a very likely answer.
Does it start again ok after it has cooled off? Can you take the muffler off to get a look at the piston?

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Not good compression is a very likely answer.
Does it start again ok after it has cooled off? Can you take the muffler off to get a look at the piston?

i put new oem piston my mind go that after hot the compression fall more because of expands and the saw can not pump fuel , yes after cooling for some hours it can start again

paragonbuilder

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
6:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
1/2 hour and that saw has been hot for a while, at least when I'm running them. 5 min and it hot.
Could it be boiling the gas?
Or maybe the coil is getting flaky. Looks like good spark but not consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

trooney

Admitted Woodaholic
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Swap out coils with a known good one. That would be my first guess. If it passes pressure test before and after and no vents are screwed up then I'd check the fuel system. If you put a new oem piston in it and the compression is low maybe the cylinder needs replating. Vapor lock?

David Young

Safety First !!!!!!
Staff member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My dad had a 254 long ago with this problem pretty sure it was a coil. It ended up getting stolen.

For the coil
Test for spark when it fails.

I doubt its vapor lock but you could lay it on its side and vent it by opening the cap.

You may be able to sneak it by with extra mix. 25:1 or something. I don't know if this would work but easy to try.

My most likely guess is the coil

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
1/2 hour and that saw has been hot for a while, at least when I'm running them. 5 min and it hot.
Could it be boiling the gas?
Or maybe the coil is getting flaky. Looks like good spark but not consistent.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sure is hot after 5 minutes but the problem apear after half hour of cutting

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Coil more than likely or plug. Compression would show up pretty much the instant it hits wood if it's real low. They'll start and run but no power in a cut.

usually problematics coils and the saws have dificulties to full throtle and all the saws that have problem and die because of coil they stop imediatelly like someone stop them
this stupid saw react little diference in full throtle react very good and keep good in the wood , then you leave it down and it react like someone have put a screwdriver to the L or to the LA screw and turn theese screws out like he want to stop the saw

the funny is that i test the coil when is hot with the stihl zat 3 tool so i test inside the cylinder and i have blue spark
then my mind go if is the vent but i dont think that a problematic vent can keep in the wood for a half or more hour
so i just thinking that if and because of heat the cylinder expand the compression fall more and the saw cant pump fuel

for the history its a gift saw from a customer the compression was 130 + before the new piston and stay there after the new piston ( even i cant believe how this saw cut woods )
now i will try and a new coil for delete and this if not i have a good box for garbages or maybe i will give to someone gift no too much headaches :)

Brewz

Free Range Human in a Tax Farm
Local time
8:10 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I sold a Stihl 064 to a fella and he rang me a couple days later saying it would run for a while and then it would die.
Let it cool for a while and it would go again, and repeat.
Then it quit and would not start.

It was the coil

cgraham1

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
3:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
372's are known to have fairly low compression, but after a piston swap it should be in the 140 range. Delete the base gasket and you will gain another 10-15 psi.

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
This thread is proof positive. ...no matter how much you know about saws....always more to learn.

My vote is losing compression or coil

the machine ( coil ) is tested with this tool inside the cylinder it gives blue spark when the gap of the tool is in two milimeters and give again blue spark when the gap open to 6-7 millimeters so blue spark inside the cylinder and keep it in 6-7 mm gap means that the coil is in good condition , but i dont say no to try and a new coil

so my friend i am with you for something sh1tty maybe hapend with the compression

108026d1355865478-whats-your-bench-today-p1000801.jpg

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
372's are known to have fairly low compression, but after a piston swap it should be in the 140 range. Delete the base gasket and you will gain another 10-15 psi.

i am in the way for the lathe now

panteliss

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I sold a Stihl 064 to a fella and he rang me a couple days later saying it would run for a while and then it would die.
Let it cool for a while and it would go again, and repeat.
Then it quit and would not start.

It was the coil

Again
problematics coils show problems in full throtle usually the saw can not put out the rpms because the coil can not give the volts that the saw need .
for example is like to have a tool that need 220 volt and you give 180 or 200
but many peoples see this and think that is a carb problem
Next
usually when a saw stop because of coil it stop imediatelly like someone cut the wire or switch off the saw

rjames

The clean beaver gets the wood
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would pull a comp test as soon as it quits and won't restart. Unless you've already done so. Don't rule out anything, I've done that many times and the very thing I've ruled out was the problem.

By the way, that zat 3 tool is sweet. You have the best tech tools I've ever seen sir!