High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Husqvarna 281xp

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
4:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Ok guys I picked up a 281 xp today and it's in great shape cosmetically. However i can't get it to start, it will fire and run but then die like it's running out of fuel.
A little history on the saw, I bought this from a dealer. They had the cylinder off and put a second gasket in it because it had "too much compression" for shame.:eek:. I was told it's in perfect shape inside. And also it has a new needle In the carb, but no new kit. Also they replaced the fuel line but because of the molded fuel line that it came with wasn't available they used a grommet. I don't see why it wouldnt work, bit it's worth mentioning.

I've also heard these saws have governors. I have never had one of these any help is welcome.

Simondo

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
What !!! 2 gaskets instead of the single one. Humm , Personally i would have the right thickness one as the saw was made to run with it.
So the seller couldn't get it running i take ? I would have the carb off …check out the metering needle and if all is ok hight wise plus gives a chance to look at the strainer gauze and if the impulse is free. Have seen gaskets and diagrams incorrectly installed a few times. Basically give it a proper once over. I would be establishing a known point by doing that ..fuel line and filter worth a good look too.

foragefarmer

70cc groupie
Local time
5:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Will it fire and run again if you open and close the fuel tank? Or you have to let it sit awhile?

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
It will start and fire right back up. No opening the tank or anything. Just dies. I may fiddle with the carb. The gasket deal throws me throughva loop. At least they told me about it.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Ok, just checked squish, and it's setting at 060. Had to double up my solder

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
So far everything was on right only thing wonky was the double gaskets and blue goo holding them together. I ran the cylinder through my US and cleaned it up. The saw was pretty clean to begin with. I went ahead and blocked off the governor with gasket material. It's ready to reassemble.

I may go ahead and put one gasket In it just to make sure she runs, then I may either have it decked or delete it later, as simple as it was to tear down it's no big deal. I wanna hear her run tonight.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A 281 don't pull over that hard .I've got one and it doesn't have a rattle ball governor. 60 thou is lot of piston/head deck clearance .I have no idea how much it's supposed to have or how thick the base gasket would be .On most Stihl gaskets it's 20 thou right on the nose .

All I've ever done to mine was pull the cylinder and replace the seals,polished the scorch off the exhaust side of the piston,runs great stock.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
ac560ba83ed21116fadff781fa080416.jpg
at .040 squish. I think it needs a carb kit.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

jockeydeuce

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm with the two gentlemen on the impulse issue...Either the intake gaskets are installed incorrectly or some of that blue goo got into the impulse passage in the cylinder or intake block.

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I completely disassembled it blew everything out and made sure I lined all the gaskets up. Went through the carb, it may need a kit.

Also it will run on choke but die once it's off. The plug looks wet.

It's either flooding out or running out of fuel I can't tell.