How the hell do you clean cylinder/crankcase after porting

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
5:52 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So basically my both saws that i played with have gone awol after i ported them... Both times i somehow missed some gunk and it scratched hell of the cylinder walls (right through nikasyl plating)...
Honestly dont know how to clean it anymore, tried gasoline -> brush -> dishsoap brushing -> gasoline -> paper towels ... compressor... even last time after i screwed last one i decided to assemble it on kitchen table so grinding dust doesnt contaminate internal stuff... but did not succed :/

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It looks like this upload_2019-10-26_22-24-41.png

and overhere it went right to aluminum and its 1mm wide upload_2019-10-26_22-25-51.png

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
11:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After you are “porting” are you chamfering/cleaning up the port edges with mild grit scotchbrite/sandpaper? You want no burrs or sharp edges on ports. I clean the crankcase with clean mix gas and wash the cylinder out well. I’m sure the real experts will chime in soon with better advice..

Wolverine

dilligaf
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
After grinding on a cylinder (I've only done a few), I take it to the kitchen sink and wash/rinse in hot dish-soapy water a couple times, then use compressed air. After that visually inspect and feel for grit or debris with a finger.
Crank case is no where near that work area so it shouldn't get any of the shavings from porting. But, I've read of guys using gas/oil mix to wash out the bottom if anything is suspected to have gotten in there.

Ronie

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I far from an expert but could it be that your leaving the port edges rough, then the rings are knocking the jagged edges down and the tiny pieces are causing the scoring?

popopboat

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Unfortunately yes, i carefully check port edges and deburr if needed..
Howewer this cylinder was not ported before this happened, must be crappy chinese filter failed to do its only job.
But on another cylinder that i acually cut scratch marks are identical.

Smokey this is chinese zenoah knock off cylinder, well everyone have to start somewhere right?

Wolverine while removing cylinder always some gunk falls in crankcase so to prevent this i dissasemble everything and clean thoroughly, but seems like unsuccessfully

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just make sure the scratches can catch a needle sliding across, or they are just polishing marks from break in. Air pressure isn't good enough for cleaning a cylinder.

I use soapy water to get rid of oil, then high pressure jet from a hose for rinsing, then thorough wiping and examining to be sure no surface contains any left over grit. I had one cylinder score before this extensive cleaning procedure, but no more. That cylinder still works, but it's an Echo with thick plating.

But some use an ultra sonic cleaner, which is probably better and easier. I need to get one because I spend a lot of time with the final cleaning.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brake parts cleaner then dawn under water will get a cylinder pretty clean. If you clean the oil residue first it’s easier to clean later

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2nd (small one) image looks like a ding in the port edge and the resulting displaced lump of metal has been rubbing the piston.

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
8:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Are you doing any hand-sanding after you de-burr/chamfer the port edges? Hand sanding helps you to feel out any rough spots.

Use 120 and then 220/240 grit sandpaper and aerosol lubricant like Liquid Wrench or WD-40.

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:52 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Brake parts cleaner then dawn under water will get a cylinder pretty clean. If you clean the oil residue first it’s easier to clean later
That's actually exactly what I do, but with carb cleaner instead. I don't like the dust sticking to the cylinder as I grind.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's actually exactly what I do, but with carb cleaner instead. I don't like the dust sticking to the cylinder as I grind.

It makes it much easier to get clean without the oil and carbon in the chamber too. That baked on gummy oil some saws get is a pain to get cleaned up