High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Help needed splitting crank case

jduv10007

OPE Member
Local time
3:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Alright all. I have had a day. It has taken me a better part of today(with kids under my feet 2-4 year old) to rip apart my 038 magnum ii. I am now finally down to splitting the crank case and can’t figure it out. I have the crank case completely bare on the outsides. Flywheel is off and the clutch is off. Even removed the tank from the crank case housing. All screws and pins removed. Now. How do I separate the two halves without the puller. Please help.

smokey7

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
7:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Heat the case up around the crank shaft on 1 side with a heat fun or propane torch to about 250-300 degrees. Then tap the crank end with a brass/lead hammer. If you don't have a brass hammer use a piece of soft wood to protect the crank. Keep in mind when doing it this way you will now have the bearing stuck on the crank and need to get that off after its all apart. Not hard to do either just a fyi.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
7:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
To get the bearings off the crank sometimes about a night in the freezer will get it .Just tap the crank on a work bench ,piece of lumber and they often slide off .Real stubborn .Again some times the split tapered wedges used to demount Jacobs taper drill chucks will work .They come in pairs .

jduv10007

OPE Member
Local time
3:18 PM
User ID
Reaction score
To get the bearings off the crank sometimes about a night in the freezer will get it .Just tap the crank on a work bench ,piece of lumber and they often slide off .Real stubborn .Again some times the split tapered wedges used to demount Jacobs taper drill chucks will work .They come in pairs .

Great idea. I am going to toss it in the freezer tomorrow morning then give it a shot. Thanks for the reminder. This is definitely something I have done in the past. Works great.