Has anybody put a de-comp on a 064

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
2:35 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for the advice, but the decision has already been made, I explained how a properly tuned de-comp worked and he wants a jug with a de-comp.

I found him a jug from the UK that will run him A$230 with a de-comp. He's willing to pay as the saw is essentially worthless to him now - he can't start it.

It means a sh!t pot more work for me, but I'll set the saw up the way I would want it set up. He'll be able to start it easy and it will rip the chips out of anything he comes up against. I'll also fix anything else that needs being done so I never see this POS again.

As far as his back muscles from lugging the beast around, that is matter between him and his chiropractor.

EDIT: I should let him use my Husky 450 with the 18" bar for a day (10.8 lb powerhead that thinks it is 60cc with a lightweight NK bar) - maybe he might see the light.

Last edited:

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I found some other sources in my Ebay research and have narrowed it down to three jugs.

Hyway with a Nikasil liner - A$136
Meteor - A$195
MMWS w/Cabers - A$140

I assume the MMWS cylinder is the Cross cylinder.

If it was your saw, which would you go for?

treesmith

Tree Hugger/Cutterer
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I've got the cross on a stock 064 Terry, runs nice, pulls a 28, I didn't build it so can''t say about quality or casting

But it cuts nice

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The MMWS is the Cross cylinder, is that right? If so, I might as well go for that.

He needs a new coil. The old coil is the early 'dog leg' coil. I noticed that the cases have an extra mounting hole so that a different coil (like perhaps a 066 coil with the retard for starting), could be mounted. Has anybody any experience with the 064 coils and could a later 066 coil be mounted instead of the early dog leg coil?

It has a Bing carb on it. It definitely needed a carb kit. I found a cheap one on the 'net for A$18. Crikey, some of the sellers want a 'first born' for a Bing carb kit.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
12:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Cross yes.
Bing is good.

Double edit above.
OEM MS361 coil works on some 1122 cases. Only use oem for the timing curve. Other coils fit but I'm not current on them. Several cases. Definitive Dave covered this and others.

Last edited:

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Keep the stock rings with the oem jug. Use the new mmws jug, oe piston/pin/bearing with new Cabers. Sell the 064 top end or build one when you find an 1122 burnt. The oem piston will assure it does not come back.

Sounds like a plan, but I notice that the MMWS jug is 54mm. Anyway, I just ordered the MMWS kit. It looks like they now have some sort of import duty on items, so the price went up another $15.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
All I've got to do is figure out this coil issue. If nobody has swapped a 066 coil onto a 064, I might give it a go. A Chinese coil is only around A$20 and if it works he will have the retard on starting. Coupled with the de-comp, he shouldn't have any problem getting this thing started.

EDIT: I just checked with one of my old Stihl coils and although I can mount it, the magnetic pick-up is offset by about 5-6 degrees. I'll get the dog leg coil. If the saw still wants to kick-back, I just might try mounting the other coil. If the coil retards it 5-6 degrees, he shouldn't have any trouble getting it started, it could be an easier fix than filing the key.

Last edited:

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Sounds like a plan, but I notice that the MMWS jug is 54mm. Anyway, I just ordered the MMWS kit. It looks like they now have some sort of import duty on items, so the price went up another $15.
The kits here come in 52 or 54mm.
Edit: my bad they are only in 54mm to fit the 064 case pattern from Cross.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, it did sound like a good idea. He really doesn't need the extra 7cc, the bloody thing is already too big for what he cuts.

Ordered the dog leg coil, there's another A$62 on his tab.

I have to get a de-comp for it, anybody have any ideas what would work. I could purchase a stock Stihl de-comp for about A$35 (yeah, I know, the prices here are ridiculous) and then slowly open it up with a set of micro drills. However, if there is a de-comp that works on these jugs, it would save me some time and effort.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Late to the party on the coil—- for future reference, if your case will accept the conventional 1300 coil, then it will work with the unlimited flywheels. The correct fw combos are in Dave’s thread on here and are extensive. To add complexity, there is an AM dogleg (unlimited) and certain 1128 coils from old 046s can work with a 1201a fw.

Lightning Performance

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Late to the party on the coil—- for future reference, if your case will accept the conventional 1300 coil, then it will work with the unlimited flywheels. The correct fw combos are in Dave’s thread on here and are extensive. To add complexity, there is an AM dogleg (unlimited) and certain 1128 coils from old 046s can work with a 1201a fw.
Bingo

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Looking at the pictures of the flywheels, it appears that it should have two key ways. I'd have to pull it to check it. If so, I might be able to put the retarded starting ignition coil on that I used on my 029/390. That coil's number was 1122 400 1314

Thanks for the information, I just might be able to get this thing an easy starting 92cc saw.

BuckthornBonnie

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would also try the thicker base gasket on the original cylinder if the AM doesn’t work out.

These saws can start rough, but they’re a blast to run with a good chain in big wood.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Well, that was fun...

Tuning a decomp for the saw was a pain in the butt. I couldn't use a standard Stihl decomp as it had a 'notch' to help keep it open. I had to use a decomp without a notch.

I needed two BIG holes in the decomp to vent a fair amount of mixture before the ignition spark. Once the ignition spark happened, the decomp without a notch would easily close.

Just thought I'd throw the information out there for anyone else that ends up in the same situation.

I really thought a 92cc 064 would be very impressive. I found out I prefer using my Chinese 365 BB with the modded carb. Easier starting, less tendency to bog and higher revs in the smaller wood - and it is lighter. Go figure...

As far as the owner, he is wide eyed with wonder. "It has never been that strong, even when new." - and it starts really easy...

Last edited: