Firewoodin’ (noodling tip)

JB-PlantHeirloom

Super OPE Member
Local time
2:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made these noodle cutting supports in my shop one year and found them rather handy:
View attachment 328613
I roll the big round on board and that gets it off the ground for the first half cut. When the round is this big, I usually quarter it.
That looks good enough for Northern Tools to copy, going to copy that myself ! :)

I usually roll one round on top of another big round and have a seat or stand up while cutting them like that, but. this looks like the perfect thing for ones in the 300+ pound category or the 100# ones when I feel lazy.

JugHead27

I'd rather be called gay
Local time
3:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that a grub? I find those when I am splitting sometimes, I give them to my chickens. I thought grubs eat roots off grass, yet those show up when splitting.
Looks like a pine sawyer beetle larvae. hear those things crunching wood all summer. just stacked some firewood and bark fell off and one of those buggers fell out...slowly moving...in winter.... -5c

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
1:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That looks good enough for Northern Tools to copy, going to copy that myself ! :)

I usually roll one round on top of another big round and have a seat or stand up while cutting them like that, but. this looks like the perfect thing for ones in the 300+ pound category or the 100# ones when I feel lazy.
Problem is, I usually forget to throw them into the truck before I head to the work site. Then when I get there I scramble for small chunks or cookies to use as supports. They never seem to work as well as these do. That ash log in the Pic might have been the biggest one I had ever worked on. This elm log was larger in diameter:
upload_2022-2-26_14-35-59.jpeg
That's a 32" bar on my Makita 6401.

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I made these noodle cutting supports in my shop one year and found them rather handy:
View attachment 328613
I roll the big round on board and that gets it off the ground for the first half cut. When the round is this big, I usually quarter it.
I might have to make something like that . I normally roll the logs I'm going to noodle on top of Smaller logs . I noodled some black locust that I cut about a month or two this morning. I used my 592xp with a 32" bar .

Attachments

• 20220226_124049.jpg
    20220226_124049.jpg
    267.1 KB · Views: 14

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I might have to make something like that . I normally roll the logs I'm going to noodle on top of Smaller logs . I noodled some black locust that I cut about a month or two this morning. I used my 592xp with a 32" bar .
For noodling I can usually get by with a 25" bar and sometimes with just a 20' bar. My biggest headache is that the noodles build up and block the normal exit from the saw and start shooting out the front over the top. That slows things down and I usually have to go back to idle and pick out the blocked noodles from under the clutch cover. Some chainsaws do this far more than others.

I hate to show this, but one of my Stihl saws benefited from an old shop-modified clutch cover that exhausted the noodles right out and never blocked up:
upload_2022-2-26_18-5-31.jpeg
I seldom use it and only on Stihls, but believe me, it does not clog up while noodle cutting. Once again, this was a salvaged cover.

bradb123

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
For noodling I can usually get by with a 25" bar and sometimes with just a 20' bar. My biggest headache is that the noodles build up and block the normal exit from the saw and start shooting out the front over the top. That slows things down and I usually have to go back to idle and pick out the blocked noodles from under the clutch cover. Some chainsaws do this far more than others.

I hate to show this, but one of my Stihl saws benefited from an old shop-modified clutch cover that exhausted the noodles right out and never blocked up:
View attachment 328668
I seldom use it and only on Stihls, but believe me, it does not clog up while noodle cutting. Once again, this was a salvaged cover.
I cut wood for a landowner that wants it cut at 26'' for the boiler . That's why I have a long bar .

CrystalRiver1

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Problem is, I usually forget to throw them into the truck before I head to the work site. Then when I get there I scramble for small chunks or cookies to use as supports. They never seem to work as well as these do. That ash log in the Pic might have been the biggest one I had ever worked on. This elm log was larger in diameter:
View attachment 328651
That's a 32" bar on my Makita 6401.
Good looking and highly functional those noodling blocks are.
Wonder if I cut some wedges from a log in similar dimensions would that work for me when noodling?

Last edited:

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Good looking and highly functional those noodling blocks are.
Wonder is I cut some wedges from a log in similar dimensions would that work for me when noodling?
Yes, they would, a wedge-shaped end cut from a big round would also work very well. The big round (work piece) might rock a little because it's not square at the perimeter and you need two wedges the same size. Whenever I forget to bring my shop-made supports, I look for those angled cookies. When they are unavailable, I try to find about four short chunks. That search for scraps tends to get old rather fast.

Last edited:

Wood Chopper

So so sleepy....
Local time
2:32 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Mmmm. Noodles.
ab61c534f181340dc4e8d8de0bbafe45.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk