Best Buy Co, Inc. Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store HLSupply Daily Deals

Finaly got bit on craigslist.

Discussion in 'General Questions' started by old guy, Aug 16, 2018.

1. old guy

old guy Pinnacle OPE Member

I have bought quite a few saws on craigslist these last few years, all was good till yesterday.
    Nice husky 350 with a new bar & chain for $150, bar & chain looked a little off and why does such a nice looking saw need a new bar & chain? Went to look at it, started on 3 pulls, but that chain did not look rite.
    I gave the chain a pull by hand & click, click, click, it was a lo pro chain on a .325 spur.
    Guy said, that's the way I got it, also said ''oh there's no bar oil in it''. But it looked so nice I bought it anyway.
    So I get it home & sit down to pull that bar & chain off, I see new bar nuts, then I see a new aftermkt clutch cover, then I find the chain is so short I have to pop the clutch off to get the bar & chain off.
    Then I see there is no oil pump drive on the crankshaft, also no screw holding the plate on the case.
    Oil pump is froze up wont turn, now we know why new bar & chain. Then I see the top cover color is a little off, so I pull that off, ''aftermkt'', it says china on top of a new looking carb. Next I pulled off the best looking aftermkt muffler I've ever seen and find the case all melted from the old muff falling off, piston looks good. I filled it with oil, no leaks yet. Suspect front handle & brake handle may be new also.
    All aftermkt parts seem very good & I have many of the parts I need including a good carb if needed.
    But I gotta watch a little better than that!

2. srb08

srb08 Doesn't play well with others

Don't feel like the Lone Ranger, we've all been there.

3. Homemade

Homemade Pinnacle OPE Member

The closest I’ve come was a .050 chain on an .058 bar. But that sucks when snakes don’t disclose when they are trying to sell a turd in a dress.

Cat 525 and Junior Samples like this.
  4. Ryan Browne

Ryan Browne Pinnacle OPE Member

Darn Jon, sorry to hear that. I saw that one on Craigslist. Looked like a good deal.

Look on the bright side though. At least you're not into Stihls. You coulda gotten taken for a lot more! Didn't some guy pay JMS $1500 for a similarly fubared creamsicle?

5. old guy

Actually the saw starts and runs really well and all those aftermarket parts are very good quality, the spendiest part is the oem oil pump at $37, I have a new clutch drum & rim conversion, I do have bars & chains, and I ordered a 346 muffler support to keep the muff in place, while I was ordering I ordered 2 more 346 p & c sets.

Cat 525 likes this.
  6. sixonetonoffun

sixonetonoffun Well-Known OPE Member

Pretty sure I saw that ad too. Remember thinking that looked good for the price.

7. old guy

Yeah, I got taken in by a pretty face, but if the melted oil tank don't leak it'll be a good saw and it may get one of those 346 top ends.

8. Stump Shot

Stump Shot Old *pretty boy dipstick of Quality

Any updates on the saw?

Dub11 and Cat 525 like this.
  9. old guy

Actually, it started & ran very well, 1 pull on choke, 1 pull off choke & it was running.
    But I don' know why as
    the comp is only 100 lbs. I pulled the top off & the ring gap was .014 which is not that bad.
    I threw in a meteor 353 flat top piston which brought it up to 130lbs before any running
    The old ring did not look round, I think it had lost it's tension. Here's a pic of the difference between the dishes piston & the flat top. 20181003_141648.jpg 20181003_141521.jpg

huskihl, Cat 525 and Stump Shot like this.
  10. Stump Shot

Stump Shot Old *pretty boy dipstick of Quality

Compression should go up as the new ring wears in I would think.

old guy likes this.
  11. old guy

I've been running this saw a bit, while it doesn't have the power of a 346, it starts on two pulls, it stays running, it'l be sitting on the ground, laying on it;s side or have fallen off the log, but it'l still be running, just pick it up & make another cut.
    I was suspicious of the decomp tho, cuz the compression wasn't getting any higher, so I plugged it & sho nuff, the comp. jumped 10 lbs.