huskihl

Muh fingers look really big
GoldMember
Local time
2:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Is that the normal standard “yellow” chain stihl semi? I’ve ran it, quite a bit faster than oregon semi. Doesn’t have the extra hump on rakers. Not very smooth, but cuts pretty nice for semi. Doesn’t hold a candle to a round filed full chisel in clean wood still, but probably the best semi chisel I’ve tried.
I was thinking non safety. 33RM. I think safety sc is 33RM3

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've only encountered actual "frozen " wood once in my life time It was a big pile of huge pin oak and honey locust green felled in late November and I tried to slice and dice in late Jan .at 15 below .I threw every thing I had at it ,no go .Tried to split it with steel wedges and got a good wack in the shin from a recoil .Put my stuff away and limped back to the house ,drank beer and sat by the fire .

Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
7:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I feel that semi chisel requires way more power bucking logs than full chisel, it is also significantly slower.
Additionally I find semi chisel harder to file properly compared to full chisel.

I like and prefer full chisel for all applications, I just swap saws when I dull a chain.
I need to get some full chisel in 3/8" low profile for my small saws.

Magic_Man

Oh Yea !
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I feel that semi chisel requires way more power bucking logs than full chisel, it is also significantly slower.
Additionally I find semi chisel harder to file properly compared to full chisel.

I like and prefer full chisel for all applications, I just swap saws when I dull a chain.
I need to get some full chisel in 3/8" low profile for my small saws.

Most times I feel the same, but in my case right now power or speed aren’t particularly the issues. I would rather cut a little slower than rock and rip the working corner off of all my chisel chains. Time taken to fix them would be far greater than the few minutes over a days work lost because of a slower cutting semi chisel chain. Now, the intent of this thread is to find out how we can make semi chisel a little faster, and not worry about knocking the corners off the chisel chain. A compromise if you will of the chain styles and what’s needed for the job.

Crzybowhntr

Apprentice Slacker
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I wasn't really pushing on the saw. I tried to be as consistant as possible with all cuts.
I'll keep at it and get it.
Thanks for all the tips and pointers!
I realize this is an old post but I just filed some Carlton A1 (I think) and it cut great in old dry oak as well as green oak and hard hickory. I used 45* tilt and 30* top plate. It was self feeding and didn't seem to start dulling even after almost a tank of fuel.

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have some semi stihl that cuts well, never had much luck with oregon. I figured out that the stihl "point" (not that there is much of one on semi chis) lines up with the line at the very top edge where it transitions from top plate to side plate. As we know from full chisel, that point or working corner is where we get our self feed from...so to make semi feed well, get as much of a point on it as you can. I think the 10 degree tilt that @Moparmyway recommended helps.

Last edited:

davidwyby

Tree felling enthusiast
GoldMember
Local time
11:09 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The black chain is Oregon after I worked it over. The silver is the good stihl. The last one is Mitch zenobi’s

C89EEA81-54A7-4F95-8F5D-7CD0B7B49DC3.jpeg67176731-4608-4CAA-8683-55B8081F4148.jpeg441E711E-411A-4BA2-999E-A9655B38588A.jpeg

Last edited: