Factory Ported 372XP by Husqvarna R&D from 2000 that lives on today

malk315

Running Saws for Therapy
Local time
9:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I stumbled upon this video from youtube and had to share with you guys.

This is a 372XP from 2000 that apparently R&D folks at Husqvarna ported and tuned for a logging championship and the guy in the video has one of only 2 left. It sounds like they did several back then and perhaps husky engineers were allowed to have some fun.

At 3:32 in the video he does some cookie cutting.

Enjoy!

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
11:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It says they did some carb work with it. I noticed it was the stock Zama carb that they modified.

If we could get a peek into that cylinder, I wonder how they worked the ports.

lwhaples

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Nice! Thanks for sharing.

cobey

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
8:27 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would wonder how there ported saws
Compare to our builders ,
There is quite a learning curve
You know :)

Jose A.S.T.S.

#DoingtheWork!!!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Thanks for sharing the video malk315 if that sucker is still spitting chips like that in 2016 I would love to run that jewel everyday!!

Tor R

GoldMember
Local time
3:27 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Far as I have understood Strandell work for Husky, he probleby have had lots of special saws in his hands, another interesting thing is that the guy who did movie recording had been testing one Husky saw, it wasnt clear if it was a proto type or not....

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score

This is a 372XP from 2000 that apparently R&D folks at Husqvarna ported and tuned for a logging championship and the guy in the video has one of only 2 left. It sounds like they did several back then and perhaps husky engineers were allowed to have some fun.

Modified saws never were allowed in the WLC competitions that guy competed in, so that is not what it was tuned for. ;)

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Glad you did Nikko, it may give pause to the guys that insist that Walbro is the best carb. - So what do the Husky factory geeks use when they're building a saw? - Horses for courses as they say in Oz.

It looks like they dialed in the throttle response as it made a good, quick limbing saw. That is something that Rich and I would joke about, that is, how anal we could get with the throttle response. Once you realize how quick you can get it, it becomes almost mandatory to get all your carbs that quick.

SawTroll

Information collector
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Glad you did Nikko, it may give pause to the guys that insist that Walbro is the best carb. - So what do the Husky factory geeks use when they're building a saw? - Horses for courses as they say in Oz.

.... .
What is "best" will of course vary with the application and the suitability for the wanted modifications. I sort of doubt it is the same Zama that they used on many of the 365 saws - unless that one is more suitable for modifications than the HD-12.

Terry Syd

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I expect it is the same Zama used on the 365s, but it has been modified. I wonder if Rich has found a drilling that works for the 372. Perhaps a .30/.35/.55 would be my guess.

I'd love to see the charts from the various dyno runs. I'd bet that there would be some gems of information contained in that documentation. - I wonder if they would make that documentation available. Why not? It is for a saw that is no longer in production.

Hey Nikko, if you have some contacts, see if they will release what information they have. If the EPA might object, then claim it was industrial espionage.