drf256

Dr. Richard Cranium
GoldMember
Local time
7:28 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just ask one of your Canadian buddies to get you the OEM Stihl green metal mesh HD filter. They may not filter as well, but they flow like a mofo.

You can maintain your original rear cover so you don’t have to leave it open or use the max-flo cover that looks like Fido’s butt.

Jus swap back and forth to a HD2 if you’ll be doing a lot of hot/dry/dusty cutting.

I still find it intriguing how filters don’t really get dirty if the rear air cover is left off, but get filthy with it on. Froggzsins help redirect flow though. Some don’t like the look either.

keesje

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Mahle (Knecht) makes a replacement filter for the HD2 filter. I haven't got my hands on one and they seem to be very rare, but their vehicle filters are very good so I'm very curious how they perform in the field:
LX__4255__-00_72459626_72459625_mB_Tecdoc_large.jpg
I don't think they can be washed like the original though.

Absolution

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just ask one of your Canadian buddies to get you the OEM Stihl green metal mesh HD filter. They may not filter as well, but they flow like a mofo.

You can maintain your original rear cover so you don’t have to leave it open or use the max-flo cover that looks like Fido’s butt.

Jus swap back and forth to a HD2 if you’ll be doing a lot of hot/dry/dusty cutting.

I still find it intriguing how filters don’t really get dirty if the rear air cover is left off, but get filthy with it on. Froggzsins help redirect flow though. Some don’t like the look either.

Why have I never seen this!

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That cover is really just for keeping the filter dry in rainy or snowy conditions. It also protects the filter from getting poked by brush. Firewooding I wouldn’t run a cover, if definitely stays cleaner longer. Logging I always run the cover because if it rains I would be screwed without the cover. Mesh vs hd2 filter? Hd2 for working and mesh for gtg’s and play imho. From the sounds of it the max flo seems like it would be good for everything.

keesje

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
1:28 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Why have I never seen this!
The part number for this green (summer) mesh filter is 0000-120-1653, but I guess they will be hard to find.
However, excellent reproduction filters of this type (with a foam inner piece) are available, just search on that part number and you'll find them.