Wilhelm

Here For The Long Haul!
GoldMember
Local time
9:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 7910 piston is preferred over the 7900 one, I am uncertain about the cylinders - but the 7910 has a much larger outlet stock due to the SLR.

The 7900 13.5k coils are preferred over the 7910 12.8k coil - but mostly for tuning reasons.

mdavlee

Hillbilly grinder
Local time
3:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Cylinder port timing on 2 of each was within 1 degree on the exhaust and intake best I remember. I prefer the ring location on the 7900 piston and the slab side for the solid side to force the charge into the transfers

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What’s the consensus on the 7900 vs the 7910 saws? What cylinder can be made stronger? Or are they pretty much identical?

The 7910 with the 13500 coil or 272 coil is the combo I see most(strongest appearing). The 7910 piston is obviously non windowed, but it's also lighter than the 7900 windowed piston(from what I read). So the combo of the new style piston with the cylinder is what I think does it.

In the newer 7910 cylinder the casting is more precise and the transfers seem really uniform from what I have seen comparing the two. Just seems like the 7910 casting is nicer.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What is transfer timing on the two? I heard the 7910 is different transfer #’s to work with the more restrictive slr muffler to meet epa rules... is this true? Which would explain the lower hp output stock? Seems easy enough to rectify ;)...

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much does that ring gap being centered help compression? Or how much does it reduce friction?

As I understand it the ring does two things in an engine(not oil ring) seals in compression and is a factor of causing friction while it does its primary job.

I'd think that no matter where the ring gap is, it's a round cylinder with a round ring, right? So it's applying the same equal force no matter where the pin is to locate the gap.

The ring is clearanced so when hot it doesn't bind in the cylinder, so it's essentially meant to float in the ring land, and I wouldn't think it was applying any extra force on one side if the cylinder or the other.

What's the concensus from guys like mdavlee, randy, and Carl, and Al? I'm just putting my thoughts out there, Im not saying I'm right.

Oh and I'd tend to think the force on the ring was all up and down, that there is very little side to side. Side to side would be a factor of piston to wall clearance.

Last edited:

Hedgerow

ONE OF THE GREATEST.....LONG LEGGED MIDGETS
Local time
2:51 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How much does that ring gap being centered help compression? Or how much does it reduce friction?

As I understand it the ring does two things in an engine(not oil ring) seals in compression and is a factor of causing friction while it does its primary job.

I'd think that no matter where the ring gap is, it's a round cylinder with a round ring, right? So it's applying the same equal force no matter where the pin is to locate the gap.

The ring is clearance so when hot it doesn't bind in the cylinder, so it's essentially meant to float in the ring land, and I wouldn't think it was applying any extra force on one side if the cylinder or the other.

What's the concensus from guys like mdavlee, randy, and Carl, and Al? I'm just putting my thoughts out there, Im not saying I'm right.

A centered ring gap is advantageous at times where port sizes and shapes are concerned.

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
A centered ring gap is advantageous at times where port sizes and shapes are concerned.

Okay that makes sense, it's strictly a factor of getting every bit of the port work you can to increase flow without having to compromise and make porting smaller.

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
More case compression is a good thing..

Until it's not...
They must’ve changed it for a reason... whatever that may be? Whether for epa reasons... or a performance standpoint. I tend to think the latter. At least that is my thinking.

Last edited:

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My red top 7900 seems to be “sportier” feeling with the slab side slug... as in it revs a bit faster and likes to be tuned higher. It also sounds a bit different and maybe a bit smoother vibes. *I have not scientifically proven this*... just my butt dyno. Lol. I really wish I tested before and after I installed the piston. But it would have been meaningless as I tightened squish and matched the lowers to the case and some carb work...

Last edited:

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She is in good shape. May need new oil lines I can't tell yet, I need to look. Definitely needs new AV springs.

ayL3Her.jpg

huskyboy

Sorta a husqvarna guy...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
She is in good shape. May need new oil lines I can't tell yet, I need to look. Definitely needs new AV springs.

ayL3Her.jpg
It’s junk it’s the small bore you need to get a bb kit! :rolleyes: Lol

mettee

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
It’s junk it’s the small bore you need to get a bb kit! :rolleyes: Lol

You know I toyed with the idea of porting it up. But I'm gonna just square it away and run it as a 7300. It frickin revs right up, it just needs a little lovin. The muffler is already opened up for me. I'll do the AV springs, oil lines, small stuff, and run her.

My makita is gonna be all out

4GhAbJR.jpg

I need another beer. Who else wants one?