Does Premix go Bad?

Clarkbug

Active OPE Member
Local time
10:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok, so sorry for starting another oil thread... Also, first post here, but was over on AS for a long time, mostly as a lurker since Im pretty amateur when it comes for running saws.

Question is that if anyone has any thoughts/experience on premix going bad if not used? The reason Im asking is that I might be able to get what seems like a decent deal on a gallon of oil, but I dont typically go through more than maybe 5 gallons of fuel a year between my saws and trimmers.

If I have the jug closed up and only crack it open when I need to mix a new batch, any issues with keeping it around for a few years?

ElevatorGuy

It’s up and down ;)
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You’re talking about the gallon jug of just oil? That will be fine for a long time as stated.

Clarkbug

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yup, talking about a gallon of the mix oil. Appreciate the responses! I didnt know if there was some funky oxidation or something that could happen that might impact performance a few years down the line.

Gullet

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Shake it good to mix well before each use.

whitesnake

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hmm, yeah this question made me wonder as well. I have a box full of pints and quarts of belray and yamalube that are prob 15-20 years old. They are unopened of course. Kinda forgot I had them until I saw the box recently and wondered what was in it. Free oil!! Maybe I’ll crack one open.

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Think about how long that oil was in the ground, did it go “bad” before being extracted? As long as it is tightly sealed you will be fine.

Clarkbug

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My thought was that underground or when sealed up it's fine, but didn't know if having it open would eventually create a problem if I'm only mixing a few gallons a year up. Overthinking, I'm sure, but c'mon, this is an oil thread!

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have this magical mix oil I use and it doesn't go bad. My special recipe is to buy any discounted, estate sale, yard sale bottles of 2 stroke oil. I pour them into a large jug and keep using it. Over the years the ratio of different brands and types changes but I wind up using "everyone's" favorite oil brand. I mix it 32:1 and use it in every 2 stroke or 4 mix tool I have and have never had an engine failure. Seeing I'm an old geezer, it must work.

SimonHS

Super OPE Member
Local time
3:46 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have this magical mix oil I use and it doesn't go bad. My special recipe is to buy any discounted, estate sale, yard sale bottles of 2 stroke oil. I pour them into a large jug and keep using it. Over the years the ratio of different brands and types changes but I wind up using "everyone's" favorite oil brand. I mix it 32:1 and use it in every 2 stroke or 4 mix tool I have and have never had an engine failure. Seeing I'm an old geezer, it must work.

This is the best statement about two stroke oil that I have read in a long time.

KingCobra98

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
9:46 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I been using old premix in my craftsman weedeater... Still working. I been trying to find an excuse with the old lady to buy a Husky or Stihl, but the thing wont die while using old premix...

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I literally bought cases of Stihl Ultra from a guy who cleaned out an Ace Hardware that was closing. At $4 for a six pack of 1 gallon bottles, $6 for a six pack of 2.5 gallon bottles and $8 for a 6 pack of 5 gallon bottles I took it all. That was at least 8 years ago and I still have boxes left. No problem running it so far.

fearofpavement

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I literally bought cases of Stihl Ultra from a guy who cleaned out an Ace Hardware that was closing. At $4 for a six pack of 1 gallon bottles, $6 for a six pack of 2.5 gallon bottles and $8 for a 6 pack of 5 gallon bottles I took it all. That was at least 8 years ago and I still have boxes left. No problem running it so far.
Guess they can throw the remaining amount on your funeral pyre someday. I probably have enough to outlast me. (a few gallons at least).

Guido Salvage

Supreme saw hoeder
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Guess they can throw the remaining amount on your funeral pyre someday. I probably have enough to outlast me. (a few gallons at least).

Years ago a local lumber/hardware chain (Hechinger) bit the dust. I stopped by to bargain shop and found gallon jugs of bar oil discounted to $1.00 each. I literally filled a shopping cart with every one they had, took me 5 or 6 years to use it all up.