Degree Wheel Setup/Finding Port Height

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
10:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Id like to know how some of you measure to figure/grind to your target intake duration.

So far the only way I have done it is set piston at time. Mark piston from intake floor, measure from mark to skirt and transfer to jug.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
9:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Id like to know how some of you measure to figure/grind to your target intake duration.

So far the only way I have done it is set piston at time. Mark piston from intake floor, measure from mark to skirt and transfer to jug.

That's how I do it as well. If I don't want to add volume to the port, I just cut the piston skirt to the line I made.

Redfin

Meh...
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That's how I do it as well. If I don't want to add volume to the port, I just cut the piston skirt to the line I made.
Im ASSuming case volume? If thats true any negatives of side to side skirt lengths?

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Here to learn more about porting.
Just wondering where is a good start point. Im not looking for a race saw just a little more grunt.

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Tapatalk

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Randy

Was wondering how you determined the port hight that you set ring to then the paper in second vid? Was that the hight befor cylinder was deckes and you just raise back to that point?

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna suggest that you spend more time reading before diving in. I know, that ain't really what a guy wants to hear. But the questions you are asking are very basic level stuff.

How's this sound? Take the saw you are interested in porting apart. Take pics, and start a thread. That way you'll be able to see what we mean by looking at the piston skirt width for example.....

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm gonna suggest that you spend more time reading before diving in. I know, that ain't really what a guy wants to hear. But the questions you are asking are very basic level stuff.

How's this sound? Take the saw you are interested in porting apart. Take pics, and start a thread. That way you'll be able to see what we mean by looking at the piston skirt width for example.....
Ok thanks.
im gonna start with the stihl 026.
may start looking at it this weekend and will post up a thread.
Thanks for you advice. Will do some more reading till then.

merc_man

merc_man
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

I started a post for first time porting in the chainsaw section. Mabe should have done that in the technical area not sure. If should be over ther mabe aomeone can move it?

peter92

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
12:20 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Here to learn more about porting.
Just wondering where is a good start point. Im not looking for a race saw just a little more grunt.

yes i would like this to

Derf

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone seems to say you can mount a degree wheel using a 1/2" drill chuck... I think it'd be helpful if you could show how that is rigged up. I have a reference image on AS, but I think we should start generating our own content.

Also, some people are printing them out online and pasting them on things like CDs, but I think that something bigger, like 7-8" diameter would be more accurate.

Mastermind

Chief Cat Herder
Staff member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Everyone seems to say you can mount a degree wheel using a 1/2" drill chuck... I think it'd be helpful if you could show how that is rigged up. I have a reference image on AS, but I think we should start generating our own content.

Also, some people are printing them out online and pasting them on things like CDs, but I think that something bigger, like 7-8" diameter would be more accurate.

Most drill chucks are 1/2" fine thread. You can mount a degree wheel using a bolt and washer.

I use 7" aluminum discs....with a printed degree wheel glued on.