High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Cylinder Plating by US Chrome - Where can I find a "dealer"?

legdelimber

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
6:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
At what point would it make sense to cut the head off of the cylinder (like a hot saw project) and get the bore plated and honed??

Now you can make a new head to suit your preferences of chamber and squish choices.
Of course the new head would need be built with cooling fins (not the typical round slab of thermal mass thingy) and other considerations of regular running times rather than the few seconds burst of cookie racing.

Fair Bit more work of course (needs to fit under the air shrouding) and it wont be stock appearing anymore.
But if it brings your favorite unit back to service at a more affordable cost?

Steve

Excellence!
GoldMember
Local time
5:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to see more pics of the engine. Someone my have one laying around with a good cylinder.

7jp4-guy

Active OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
3:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
OK. I have heard back from Langcourt Ltd. They do not work on blind bore cylinders. I think that is the last plating company I could find. Any I have missed?

Thanks again for all your help everyone. I really appreciate it.

Best,
Matthew D'Asaro

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I would like to see more pics of the engine. Someone my have one laying around with a good cylinder.
Agree, more pics of the entire engine would help the hunt for a replacement. The other option might be is boring and building an aluminum sleeve that you have plated, or and iron liner as others have stated.

picard335

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Have you found anything on getting a cylinder re-plated? Im in the same postion and can't find anyone to replate blind cylinders. Can't even find a dealer willing to work with US Chrome.

Bigmac

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you found anything on getting a cylinder re-plated? Im in the same postion and can't find anyone to replate blind cylinders. Can't even find a dealer willing to work with US Chrome.
Welcome! Try a motorcycle dealer or atv dealer, a performance shop would be go0d too. Or try calling them, I have talked directly to them, but be warned, it’s expensive! What do you need plated?

jacob j.

Lord of Cargo Pants
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Welcome! Try a motorcycle dealer or atv dealer, a performance shop would be go0d too. Or try calling them, I have talked directly to them, but be warned, it’s expensive! What do you need plated?

I've got a dozen Mac SP-125c jugs that could be re-plated if I could find a dealer...

picard335

Active OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I got a Remington 754g, previous owner ran straight gas through it and I am looking to have it converted to Nikasil instead of chrome.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

mirage

Super OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
4:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
So anyone get into the business of replating cylinders

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
6:57 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
You could wrap up a kings ransome in cylinder work .I've again only done one cylinder which is a 125 Mac I used cast iron on .However my method is rather crude but I'd imagine is probabley as good as if I had a boring machine .It was done on a pre ww 2 Bridge Port model M milling machine the boring bar was a reworked axle from a morter mixer . A reed valve McCulloch while time consuming is most likely the easiest to do because you can cut the ports by going through the ones left in the block.Some like a quad port Husqvarna would be a task that would take a lot more work to come out right .However a few are doing that and I've met a few ,Joe Harkness and Dave Smith ( no relation ).Joe BTW has a couple of clips on You Tube.
I don't know if they do like me and core out a round of material or buy spin cast liners from LA Sleeve .Perhaps does like Harts automotive in Cecil Ohio and use precision steel tubing .BTW they have resleeved Rolls Royce engines .Most likely the best in the USA .