High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Compact Tractors

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
11:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
What are you guys have for 4x4 compact tractors?

I've got my eyes on a Farm Pro 2430. Anyone using a Farm Pro? They are a Chinese tractor but unfortunately that's the most tractor I can afford out of pocket. Its a 3 cylinder diesel with <600 hrs, rated at 30hp and has a FEL, live 2 speed PTO and 4x4 of course with a fiberglass canopy.

If money was not an issue I would be getting a Ford 1910 or 1920...

Barneyrb

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I've got/had a few compact tractors. I would urge you to stay away from that Farm Pro and keep looking because at 600 hours your nightmare is just beginning. I've seen a few of those around here and they are trouble waiting to happen. Just send an oil sample off for analysis and it will come back with tons of metal in it, they don't wear good at all.

I would look around and see if I could pick up a Yanmar, Iseki, Mitsubishi, or Shibarua tractor. Those were imported from Japan as graymarket units and usually hold up very well.

I have a Yanmar US35D w/FEL which is the same tractor as a JD 990 that I use a lot at the deer camp and that is where it lives. I had to rebuild the steering cylinder, lift cylinder (has a hyd cylinder to adjust tilt of the hitch), and a tach cable. I also have a Mitsubishi 1850 which is a 4 cylinder and really smooth that I don't use much but it does get run when needed. I also have a Case/IH DX25E which is my lawn mower with a quick remove front end loader that is very handy for my yard and working on the rent houses. The bucket doesn't hold much more than a wheel barrow but it is lots easier on the back.

I did have a Hinomoto C174 (Massey 1020) and a Kubota B7100 that have been sold.

BTW, compact Deere will be a Yanmar, Compact Ford will be Shibaura, Compact MF will be Hinomoto or Iseki depending on model and year, Compact IH or Case/IH will be Mitsubishi or Shibaura depending on model and year, Compact Mahindra could be Mitsubishi depending on model (usually 4 digit model numbers lower HP).

www.tractordata.com is your friend

Last edited:

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What's your main purpose or what will be used for most?

CR500

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I am a compact/agriculture mechanic at a deere dealership and can safely say that the yanmar diesel in the compact machines rarely have many big issues.

Depending in your needs a 3 or 4 series would be what I would shoot for.

If you want go mow your yard and do general small yard work.... the 1 series is a versatile 25 hp machine.

However in my dream world, I would like a 997 Zero turn mower for mowing grass. And a 6R with a front mount blower and loader for snow and dirt removal.

Sent from my non internal combustion device.

Duce

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
2004 New Holland TC33D, R4 tires and loader. Use it to plow snow, move wood, grade drive and lift crap I can no longer move. Shibaura is correct.

Last edited:

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I plan to have a small horse farm. I have 4 acres of pasture now with plans to expand in the future (no more than 6, have room for 3 currently). The first big project with the tract will be to pull cut trees (average <12" at butt) from a small spot about the size of an acre that I plan to clear cut. Then I need the FEL to help move gravel when I install field drain tile. I will use the FEL to put the gravel in the bottom of the trench and cover the pipe and back fill the trench, about 800' of drain tile in total. After that just moving horse poo, cut firewood, hay, pulling a york rake, small brush hog for edge of pasture, no lawn mowing.

I'm getting cold feet on the Farm Pro. I've been eyeing a Deutz-Allis 5230, 31hp 4x4 with FEL and about 2000 hrs listed for $7500. It's about the same distance away as the farm pro just in a different direction. The farm pro was listed for $5000

Last edited:

Barneyrb

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm getting cold feet on the Farm Pro. I've been eyeing a Deutz-Allis 5230, 31hp 4x4 with FEL and about 2000 hrs listed for $7500. It's about the same distance away as the farm pro just in a different direction. The farm pro was listed for $5000

Be aware that Hinomoto which built the 5230 went out of business in the 1980's and parts are really hard to come by and check and see if that tractor has an aluminum bell housing and transmission case (makes a FEL braces a must on it). The quality is good on that one but just be aware of the parts issue.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips. I'm staying away from the Farm Pro, it's just too much of a gamble. I'm currently debating between the Allis 5020, a Deutz-Allis 5230 or an International 2400B utility tractor. The 5020 has a slipping clutch but comes with new clutch and throw out bearing. The 5230 is $1500 more than the 5020 and has ~2000 hrs where the 5020 has about 600 hrs.

Last edited:

idiotwithasaw

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Check tractorhouse.com if it were me I would rather have a larger tractor for livestock, especially for moving hay rolls. Depending on your budget 50 to 80 hp tractors can be had reasonable. That range would be good to handle a loader and pull either a finishing mower or up to a 10ft bush hog for clipping pasture. My personal pick would either be a John deere 2750 or a 6000 series. Both are 4 cylinders and around 80hp. That being said we have a deere 4710 which as stated is a yanmar in green. We pull a 6ft bush hog with it, till our gardens, and hook a 2 row planter to the three point for replanting bare spots. If it had a loader I would say we would probably use it even more. It's been a good tractor, but it is on the small side and has limited uses. Do your research and buy what's best for you, guaranteed once you have it you will use it more than you ever expected.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
How far are you away from Virginia? Looks to be in decent shape and this is a Mitsubishi 25hp diesel. Should be an easy fix.

https://www.govdeals.com/index.cfm?fa=Main.Item&itemid=32397&acctid=226
Too far for me but I will see if there is anything more local on that site...

Check tractorhouse.com if it were me I would rather have a larger tractor for livestock, especially for moving hay rolls. Depending on your budget 50 to 80 hp tractors can be had reasonable. That range would be good to handle a loader and pull either a finishing mower or up to a 10ft bush hog for clipping pasture. My personal pick would either be a John deere 2750 or a 6000 series. Both are 4 cylinders and around 80hp. That being said we have a deere 4710 which as stated is a yanmar in green. We pull a 6ft bush hog with it, till our gardens, and hook a 2 row planter to the three point for replanting bare spots. If it had a loader I would say we would probably use it even more. It's been a good tractor, but it is on the small side and has limited uses. Do your research and buy what's best for you, guaranteed once you have it you will use it more than you ever expected.
I looked on tractorhouse once and didn't see anything local (<150 miles) but I should check again. A 50 HP tractor is too large for a hobby farm like I plan to have. I wont be moving round bales and currently only have 5 acres of pasture. A 40hp tractor would be too large for the size space I have. A 35hp would be most ideal but 30 hp is about the max I can afford out of pocket currently.

Im planning to go view 3 tractors this afternoon. I have about 300 miles round trip to drive. One guy has a John Deere 950 2x4 with 1100 hrs listed for $5800 with a brush hog, snow plow, tire chains/weights, discs, small utility trailer, and a wood splitter. The only down side is it has no FEL but he did say he was negotiable. I plan to call a local JD dealer and ask what the trade in value is on that tractor. If I can buy all of that equipment for $5K and get $5K trade in for just the tractor I might explore that option.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
That was a long drive, over 300mi... I called the first guy to tell him i was backing out and had my heart set on a 4x4. He asked what I was looking for and said he had a cherry Ford 1510 with 750hrs that wasn't listed. Knowing it was on the smaller side of what I was looking for I stopped anyways and found this.

IMG_20160510_181155346.jpg
IMG_20160510_181207403_HDR.jpg

Nice little tractor with some rare options like an independent PTO and a 3 range shuttle shift on the column and 4 fwd gears. Tractordata shows it having a 1.1L, 3 cyl, 22HP. Unfortunately it didn't have any steering assist so there's a lot of feedback and it could get a little labor some moving material with the FEL. He wasn't sure what he wanted for and I told him I only know what I'm willing to spend and have seen a couple with similar hours and shape for around $6k... I told him I wanted to look at the other tractors before I gave him an offer.

Second tractor was Deutz-Allis 5230, 31HP, 3 cyl, live PTO, with 2050 hrs. Nice running tractor and felt like more than twice the tractor that the Ford is. No equipment included other than the FEL and not willing to negotiate, firm at $7500.
00m0m_bi1Afz0ofpT_600x450.jpg

Third tractor was the Allis Chalmers 5020, 2cyl, 1.3L, 25HP with 6 or 700hrs for $6K. The clutch slips in high range but he has a new clutch, throughout bearing and pressure plate to go with it. Comes with a set of forks for the FEL. Just a sweet little machine, well kept and feels tight and has steering assist. Live PTO and Cat 1 3pt hitch (like the rest).

00O0O_kVJABy5gzZv_600x450.jpg

00Q0Q_6qbzVBjdBre_600x450.jpg

I liked the size and power of the 31 HP Deutz-Allis but I like that little Allis just as much. It will take longer to move material because the bucket is a lot smaller but I'll gain maneuverability. That 5020 is just a nice tight machine. The guy bought it from the original owner who used it at a marina to move boats. That probably explains why the clutch slips, using too high of a gear and puling large boats/trailers...

Last edited:

junkman

Crush it
Local time
8:07 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How many speeds are the pto drive ? if tilling or mowing with the pto and 3 point pto speed helps fluff the dirt if tilling ,my kubota has 3 pto speeds ,4x4 is a nice option also ,i do not have front end loader ,just a snow plow blade ,i can still groom dirt with it or push though .

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
They are all 540 RPM for the PTO.

Barneyrb

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The Duetz and Allis are built by the same company, Hinomoto and they have been out of business for close to 30 years. Parts are super hard to find, things like injectors, pumps, filters, starter, or alternators are common and can be found but if you need a gear fork, pto gear, valve spring, or another hard part it will be limited to a used product.

They also have an aluminum bell housing and transmission case. With both of those tractors having FEL please check for cracks because they were very prone to cracking and breaking in half. For the tractor to survive they must have braces off the rear axle for the FEL.

The engines were good solid units as well as the transmissions (other than the alum part). I had one (Hinomoto C174) and put a lot of trouble free hours on it. The shifter ball tore up on mine (nylon under the rubber boot) and I wound up making one because it was not available anywhere I could find. I sold it because I needed a larger tractor and a FEL.

Not trying to discourage you but want you to know the facts before you plop down lots of money.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I appreciate your input, I really do. Unfortunately there isn't much available in this size range in my price range. The 5020 does have the brace to the rear axle, Im not sure about the 5230. I prefer to have a Ford but would really like a 1700 series tractor. Closest one is over 150 miles away. :(

I will double check for any cracks before handing over cash. Thank you.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Have you considered buying a skid loader? A lot More hydraulic lift capacity and will do a lot better At clearing ground then any of those tractors you have posted.

czar800

Mastermind Approved!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Farmall 240 or 340 or JD 1010 are nice size and cheap. We had a 340 with a loader for years never a problem.

Marshy

WFO Cutting
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
I don't need a lot of FEL lifting power, not enough to justify a skid steer. Im quite sure the 5020 is going to make it way home come Saturday. There just isn't anything out there near me for that price with as little wear. I was lookin at the JD 1010 and even a 1020 at one point but the 1020 ad was old and the tractor had sold for $3500 with a FEL. Shucks.