Buy Used Saws CCC Ebay Store

Clearing trails on my land - one big problem.

Discussion in 'Landscapers Community' started by cms829, Aug 27, 2019.

1. cms829

cms829 Well-Known OPE Member

Forgive me if this isn't the right place, but I figured it was best to discuss here as it is kind of a landscaping question.

My wife and I moved into our home and I am slowly getting around to some of the things I want to get done. Total of 7 acres. Took a bunch of dead or dying trees down around the property, but we have 3 acres of woods that I want to cut a trail through. Basically around the perimeter of our property. The issue is, the forest floor is blanketed with poison ivy. We are in upstate (central) NY, just an FYI. I am allergic, and have had it like 5 times already since we moved in and I started working outside.

So....with that said, what are some good options for me to at least clear a trail? Throw on a tyvek suit and a backpack sprayer of poison ivy killer? Thats the only thing I could think of. I do realize it will become a maintenance thing, and that the ivy will try to grow back.

2. Moparmyway

Moparmyway Its just a saw

Roundup, 1.5 times the suggested ratio. The large super concentrated container is about $100.00. I run 10oz for 3.5 gallons.

Apply one Saturday morning as the dew is drying out, wait a week, then apply again.
    Will kill everything green, including bamboo with a third application.

As for the PI, Tecnu will be your go to wash down after you remove your clothes. Don’t scratch any itch until you wash down, no matter what !!

radio, mdavlee and huskyboy like this.
  3. alleyyooper

alleyyooper Super OPE Member

Apply a barrier cream, such as Ivy Block or Stokoguard, if you know you have a good chance of exposure to poison ivy. While no vaccine or medicine has been shown to prevent reactions to poison ivy, barrier creams containing bentoquatam seem to be effective in slowing the absorption of urushiol into the skin. Apply the cream as directed, usually about an hour before potential exposure, and thoroughly wash it off within four hours, reapplying as necessary.

If you can find it these days Fels Napa soap is about the best I have found for cleaning up (showering) with after being in poisin Ivy. start at your head and work down so any oil you wash and rince off continues to be removed.

:D Al

radio likes this.