Cheap saw build off interest?

Shane10

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
3:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Just wondering if there would be any interest in doing a build off on here with something like 42cc craftsman saw. Everything is up for discussion rules and what not. Thinking we could all share our builds and it wouldn’t cost all that much for someone to be involved. If it all comes together we could just run them in some 4x4 ( like 4 pieces banded together) lumber and post videos for comparisons. My idea was if it says 42cc on the side it qualifies the plastic must mount as it originally did with possibly only a modified filter cover but the sky is the limit from there. So, pipes, alky, nitro, and whatever else will fit around the stock plastic goes. Anyone interested?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Nutball

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Would be fun as a GTG event. Maybe a $5 buy in for a little prize pot for the winner. I've always been up for a poulan buildoff.

Nitro is as cheap and easy as putting it in the tank and making your own bypass jet into the carb, and get fuel pressure by pressurizing the tank with exhaust pressure. Doesn't mean it will be a winner or survive, but it should certainly wake it up a lot without a port job.

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
4:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
How ironic. I inspected one of those today. It all looked really good until I pulled the muffler. Are pistons available for these?

I certainly am no threat to winning a speed cutting contest.
But may challenge myself to get it running while playing along.

cuinrearview

Unskilled Hammer Donkey
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Why mess with these when there's pro saws out there at the same price? Maybe set a dollar amount and let guys get in with what they can get locally.

Shane10

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My idea was that someone could get a used saw cheap on their local Craigslist and be able to join in with everyone else. Of course someone could throw a million bucks at their saw and have the best one but for bragging rights? As far as racing for money let’s leave that exchange for a face to face so there’s less chance of someone getting screwed over. The idea was just to start with a saw that generally doesn’t cost and arm and a leg so more people can get involved. Not to many rules to argue over. And if you fry one you can probably find another one for less than your other arm and leg and just start over. Wasn’t thinking that I’d throw a complete build on people that don’t have the means to put it together on their own. An ms200t ain’t the easiest little bass poop to work on and they take about a month to get. If someone just wants to get a saw for $50 and file the crap outta a chain then post a video then that’s all they have to do. Just an idea at this point and just for fun unless you’re face to face with cash and please post a video of the race and trash talking. I like the good hearted trash talking as much as the racing. FYI I currently don’t think I have a 42cc craftsman but that doesn’t have to be the saw that’s used. I was just trying to pick a saw that sells cheap when used and there are plenty of them out there since I tend to talk things waaaaay to far sometimes. Like maybe a leaf blower for forced induction. Just kidding, errr....... well..... now I’m thinking about it.....

Shane10

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don’t want to put dollar limitations on this. Just a saw brand and size that’s on the outside so there’s no arguments about the platform. I’m also curious about what people come up with to make them really go. My bet is that one that runs good and ain’t buck wild with a really good chain will probably be a front runner. Then again if someone goes balls deep they could blow everyone out of the water and we’d all watch that video with our jaws on the floor and know, THAT GUY IS THE MAN!!!

Shane10

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
But if there’s another platform out there that’s plentiful and cheap on the used market. By all means throw it out there and we can decide as a group. I do like the idea of a saw that’s not a clamshell case so people that aren’t all tooled up can do a little more. And yeah I got a case splitter so it’s not just for me.

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
On the topic I reworked an under 50 c c Craftsman/ Poulan branded clam shell once and it did improve it .The seals took a dump and I've never done a thing with it since .It's one of the ever increasing "to do " list I keep forgetting about .

NSEric

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
5:10 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I ported a 38cc plastic homelite, it was a lot faster afterwards.
The oiler quit shortly after porting it tho, it still runs fine but wont cut for long lol.
This was the worst saw to work on by a long stretch for me so I don't want to touch it again.

You could do a Chinese build off too, the joncutter 5800 is a 100 bucks and quite easy to make fast. Fab up an intake, install a 372 carb, a little porting and it cuts like a 50-55cc pro saw.

Shane10

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Ok so the Jon cutter is a possibility

Dora anyone happen to know what the best selling saw of all time is? A poullan or a homelite maybe?

Homemade

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Now you got my thinking. How about a wild thing build off.

Shane10

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wild things are also a possibility. I believe they are wildly known as a POS and can be had for cheap. Anyone involved can make this as simple or complicated as they want. Just want as many people to be involved as possible on the same platform as possible. That way if someone shares an alky conversation anyone else can directly copy it for themselves and not be missing an extremity if they don’t have an extra to spare.

Possibility’s are currently,

craftsman. After looking the 50cc seem to be more popular
Wild thing. Bunches of those out there for cheap
Jon cutter.

More suggestions please!!

Al Smith

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
When I think about it that cheap little Poulan goes back to the AS days which was some time ago .When I was given that thing half the bolts were stripped out allowing the engine to rock up and disengage the oil pump,not too handy .I actually reworked that thing with a couple of round files and sand paper . It worked believe it or not .Cut good for about 3-4 minutes until the seals heated up then it was done for an hour .

lehman live edge slab

Live Action
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The 50cc might be to vague for a rule almost need to pick a saw to build or at least limit it to a homeowner series saw because we all know an ms261 or 346xp and a ms250 or a 350 husky aren’t a fair fight. Unless a 346 cylinder is on the 350

I Know Something

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a 36cc craftman with its 16" bar and a Pico chain on it. Been slowly working on it as a fun project.

Made a little video for s buddy that wanted to see it work.

Shane10

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I think the stipulation/rules should be:

No greater than 50ccs

Can be oem or AM

Must run on pump fuel

No pipes

16" bar .325

I’m trying to keep everyone on a platform that’s available for less than $100 used. Hopefully more like $50. And let everyone decide on haw far they want to take it. If we just said 50cc then a pro saw would kill a poulan and that’s not the point of this. I already got a 260 pro that’ll do pretty good but they aren’t on every street corner for less than $100