Cannon Pole Pruner / Saw Guide Bars

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
11:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I don't know Where you guys buy your chains. 0.24 a link at Baileys for 3/8, low pro, narrow kerf (Carlton) chain. 43 links for this bar is $10.32. Oregon 90PX is 0.36 per link, or $15.48. Amazon has Oregon R44 Advance Cut Saw Chain 12" loops, for $15.06 (34 cents a link). Add a few cents for a preset to spin it down a link.

The NK chain puts less load on the smaller motors that most pole saws have. As I have noted elsewhere, the Oregon Type 90 chain also cuts fairly aggressively, and holds up well. Another one of my pole pruners uses 1/4" chain, but it does not cut as well IMO.

Philbert
I was talking about a Stihl dealer selling pole pruner loops for a Stihl pole pruner. That's what I paid last year after 6.5% local sales tax (which is also ridiculous). Nebraska has no state gambling revenue (which is also ridiculous). After that, I bought a 25' length.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was talking about a Stihl dealer selling pole pruner loops for a Stihl pole pruner. . .
If it has to be STIHL, you will have to pay what STIHL wants. I have been happy with the Oregon Type 90 chain.

After that, I bought a 25' length.
What did that 25' reel cost?

Philbert

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
If it has to be STIHL, you will have to pay what STIHL wants. I have been happy with the Oregon Type 90 chain.

What did that 25' reel cost?

Philbert
As I recall, it was about $50 delivered (Oregon). I caught it on what I thought was a special sale price. I've made four loops from the reel and have received no complaints. There's still some left.

Around here, Stihl saw chain is expensive, and it makes no difference what gauge or pitch it is. It's good chain, but you pay through the nose.

Wood Doctor

Edwin
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That was a good deal!
Philbert
I thought so too, and try as I may, I cannot find anything that matches it. Closeout specials like that are hard to find, especially with chain that is not common. Let's see now, what was the the original pitch and gauge of the chain used on a Stihl 015 L top handle saw? I'll bet that's almost impossible to find.
:rolleyes:

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
*UPDATE*

Just got a good deal on a lightly used STHIL HT131, and I have several close-out boxes of Oregon 'R40' chain (3/8" low pro / .043"), so I may be back in business with this bar!

Philbert

Last edited:

sawfun

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:53 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
*UPDATE*

Just got a good deal on a lightly used STHIL HT131, and I have several close-out boxes of Oregon 'R34' chain (3/8" low pro / .043"), so I may be back in business with this bar!

Philbert
They work excellent for cutting from the top down, however, no so great at relieving tension by undercutting. When undercutting, the angle leads to the cutting surface being flat and the saw pushing backward, rather than cutting. Basically it makes the chain into a Cat track, or so I've found.