Can you identify this CBN wheel???

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
10:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Hello guys....I just bought a Stihl usg and It came with a half dozen wheels...now I have a Oregon grinder and can recognize most wheels just by looking at them....this wheel has me baffled.....i have no idea how old it is, looks like it doesn't have much use, (the guy I bought it from said only 2-chains)....

Ok it is very hard to read the writing on the wheel at any angle....I can make out some of it....

Here is what I can see....it says "standard diamond" at the top and it says D80 plate at the bottom.....there are some more numbers and writing that I couldn't read, and I didn't have time to clean it up yet.....it is way more coarse than my CBN wheels from diamond wheel inc...I assume this is a wheel for steel chains, but I do want to make sure!!!!

I am just trying to find out who made it and if any of you guys have used one...I posted this in the chainsaw section because I figured it would get more views....thanks a lot guys!!!

Here are some pics...
IMG_2634.PNG IMG_2636.PNG

@Philbert @mdavlee @Icepick69 @Sierrawoodsman @junkman

Moparmyway

Its just a saw
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rub some grease into the letters, it'll darken them and allow you to read easily

Looks like a cyclone wheel, designed to be cooler while cutting into the cutter as it grinds away material

If its a true diamond wheel, its for sharpening carbide. They say regular chain will clog the diamond wheel ................. I dont know, so I got a CBN. I've been meaning to try a diamond wheel for giggles and grins to see if it actually does clog up

Dinasaw
Diamond Wheel

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that is a carbide wheel . notttt cheap. when you get a carbide chains sharpen you pay by the tooth. local shop charges 6.00 a tooth

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
that is a carbide wheel . notttt cheap. when you get a carbide chains sharpen you pay by the tooth. local shop charges 6.00 a tooth
What makes you know for sure it's for a carbide chain....standard diamond is the name of the company that made the wheel...

I have a brand new never used Stihl carbide wheel...it is not anywhere near as coarse as this wheel...

I also called a local dealer to see what they charge to sharpen carbide, the only charge $12 for a 20" loop....

Carbide wheel
IMG_2629.PNG

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I will say I did try this on regular Steel chains and it doesn't do 1/8 as good as my CBN wheel I use in my Oregon grinder...

Maybe it is for carbide??

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
7:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an old school diamond wheel made by U.S. Diamond wheel. The company unfortunately does not exist, they may have merged into another company. The D80 is the grit designation, this looks like it is the D1FF1 profile with coolant holes. Just looking at my old invoice, this was my first diamond wheel that I have tried back in 2007, well over 500+ sharpenings on chains from 18" to 24" and very happy with it. Your D80 may be a bit rough on individual teeth, I had my done in 120 grit which at the time was the finest offered. The wheel should be ISO 9001, if you do not see any bends it should provide service, although I do think that 80 grit may be a bit rough on the individual tooth.

I remember when chatting with the production engineer, they said we will make you any spec wheel, waiting time was about 5 weeks. Too bad small companies like this do not last as they care about the individual customer. Price was reasonable, and the fins were there to provide cooling by whipping up air around the tooth and that slight pause in between the different sharpening sections.

Last year, I bought a wheel made Diamond Wheel Inc, and I could not tell the difference, both performed equally well.

When I sharpen, I do not burry the wheel into the tooth, I touch up multiple times, to not let the tooth get too hot, the fins or no fins is not a problem for me.

It will load up, best way to clean is a dampened Bristol brush in water, do it from both sides after every sharpening, wheel should be fine.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
This is an old school diamond wheel made by U.S. Diamond wheel. The company unfortunately does not exist, they may have merged into another company. The D80 is the grit designation, this looks like it is the D1FF1 profile with coolant holes. Just looking at my old invoice, this was my first diamond wheel that I have tried back in 2007, well over 500+ sharpenings on chains from 18" to 24" and very happy with it. Your D80 may be a bit rough on individual teeth, I had my done in 120 grit which at the time was the finest offered. The wheel should be ISO 9001, if you do not see any bends it should provide service, although I do think that 80 grit may be a bit rough on the individual tooth.

I remember when chatting with the production engineer, they said we will make you any spec wheel, waiting time was about 5 weeks. Too bad small companies like this do not last as they care about the individual customer. Price was reasonable, and the fins were there to provide cooling by whipping up air around the tooth and that slight pause in between the different sharpening sections.

Last year, I bought a wheel made Diamond Wheel Inc, and I could not tell the difference, both performed equally well.

When I sharpen, I do not burry the wheel into the tooth, I touch up multiple times, to not let the tooth get too hot, the fins or no fins is not a problem for me.

It will load up, best way to clean is a dampened Bristol brush in water, do it from both sides after every sharpening, wheel should be fine.
Well thank you sir, exactly what I needed!!!!!

And I have since found out that the company has changed hands....I emailed a lady the same pics and she said she would get back with me, we will see...

The guy I got this grinder from was a very helpful and honest, he said he only used the wheel a handful of times....

I did try the wheel on a regular steel chain and this one doesn't cut like my CBN wheel from diamond wheel co....this D80 whee doesn't hardly thro any sparks, my other CBN wheels throw some sparks, not many but some....it's very wierd, it does leaves a shiny finish on the cutter that makes it look brand new.....

I thought maybe it was loaded up, so I touched it to my white "cleaning" stick, didn't help...I will try the wire brush...I wonder if this is just the way this wheel cuts????

I will play with it more and see what I can find out.....I also use the tap-tap-tap method and I get supers results with CBN wheels....this wheel also weighs probably 3x's as much as the diamond wheel co wheels...

As you stated this wheel does have more writing in it, it's just so hard to read...I am going to try and use a pencil and paper to make it legible!!!!

Thanks a lot for taking time to let me know, I really appriciate it....the guy said he bought this wheel around same time as you, and it is from the standard diamond co.....

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag

Oh I meant to ask is there any way you could get a pic of your wheel....I will try and make a short video of this wheel cutting, it doesn't cut like my other CBN....

I will say this thing moves a lot of air when it is spinning, I could see it help keeping the cutter cooler during the cut!!!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
US Diamond is now Radiac Abrasives. I have wheels from both, quality and customer service is still top notch.
Thanks for the reply....I did find out the other day that they are now radiac, seems like a good company!!!!

Do you have CBN wheels from other companies by chance.....I am just wondering if they cut at the same speed as your other wheels???

You see I have 2-CBN wheels from diamond wheel co. And they cut fast, and throw a small amount of sparks....this wheel from standard diamond cuts slower and hardly throws a spark at all....I am wondering g if it's loaded up, it hasn't had enough use to be even close to wore out....

jb-chainsaws

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
3:48 PM
User ID
Reaction score
I'm jealous of that wheel, they cost a bloody fortune to buy new! I'd love to have one so I can run carbide chains on the lads I have stumping, but can't warrant the cost of the wheel and don't want to pay someone else to grind them!

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I'm jealous of that wheel, they cost a bloody fortune to buy new! I'd love to have one so I can run carbide chains on the lads I have stumping, but can't warrant the cost of the wheel and don't want to pay someone else to grind them!
The first wheel I posted a pic of is for steel chain...the second wheel(Stihl brand) is for carbide chain...people get easily confused on which is which....a lot of people call all the wheels "diamond wheels", which isnt true....

I was lucky that the guy threw in the brand new Stihl carbide wheel....I have never had anyone aske me to sharpen carbide chain, but maybe now I will....

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Khntr85 I will try to locate a pic, I wonder if the prices have gone up since the company change, I received mine in 2007 for $102 out the door. Yes it is heavier, when my sharpener starts, it dims the light(on the sharpener, not the house light) for a few seconds, since I do the tap-tap-tap sharpening method, I have not noticed any slow downs, but if someone likes to bury their wheel into a tooth, maybe the momentum helps.

I will try to locate the pics, I wonder what gives that it does not want to sharpen? Maybe the material could be worn off, but since this is a ISO 9001, you would have to hit it with a sledge hammer before any real damage.

At the time, the engineer told me that if I do not wear the diamond plating all the way down to the bare bone metal, they can replace at $60 per wheel, but I am sure prices have changed for this service too.

A Bristol brush, would be like a soft painter brush, except with a handle, the light bristols when dampened will be carried out of the diamond wheel leaving a clean ready to go wheel. Think electric tooth brush caring away food from your teeth. This was a trick recommended by my grand father, who sharpened anything and everything under the sun for 50 years. Please no wire brushes as they could damage the wheel.

I have not noticed the sparking difference, both wheels spark just about the same, but much less than a classical stone.

ZERO

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@jb-chainsaws I totally feel your pain, sometimes finances can be prohibitive, I just do not have time to sharpen by hand, for me it is a great time saver, one wheel for over a decade, in my case it has paid for itself many times over.

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Do you have CBN wheels from other companies by chance.....I am just wondering if they cut at the same speed as your other wheels???

I have a couple from Foley-Belsaw, an unknown I got with a Silvey grinder, a US Diamond and one from Radiac.

They are not all the same grit. The 60 and 80's cut about the same. The 120 and 150 are slower and burn much faster.

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
@Khntr85 I will try to locate a pic, I wonder if the prices have gone up since the company change, I received mine in 2007 for $102 out the door. Yes it is heavier, when my sharpener starts, it dims the light(on the sharpener, not the house light) for a few seconds, since I do the tap-tap-tap sharpening method, I have not noticed any slow downs, but if someone likes to bury their wheel into a tooth, maybe the momentum helps.

I will try to locate the pics, I wonder what gives that it does not want to sharpen? Maybe the material could be worn off, but since this is a ISO 9001, you would have to hit it with a sledge hammer before any real damage.

At the time, the engineer told me that if I do not wear the diamond plating all the way down to the bare bone metal, they can replace at $60 per wheel, but I am sure prices have changed for this service too.

A Bristol brush, would be like a soft painter brush, except with a handle, the light bristols when dampened will be carried out of the diamond wheel leaving a clean ready to go wheel. Think electric tooth brush caring away food from your teeth. This was a trick recommended by my grand father, who sharpened anything and everything under the sun for 50 years. Please no wire brushes as they could damage the wheel.

I have not noticed the sparking difference, both wheels spark just about the same, but much less than a classical stone.
Well I cleaned the whee and it seems to be doing better....it leaves a shiny finish that is the best I have ever seen.....I will get a pic soon!!!!

And yes it's the heaviest wheel I have by far...

Oh and what kind of grinder are you using??

Last edited:

Khntr85

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I have a couple from Foley-Belsaw, an unknown I got with a Silvey grinder, a US Diamond and one from Radiac.

They are not all the same grit. The 60 and 80's cut about the same. The 120 and 150 are slower and burn much faster.
Wow you have tried a lot of the brands....is there any difference in the us diamond and radiac wheels, being they are basically the same company??

And which brand seems to make the best all around wheen in your opinion....

super3

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Wow you have tried a lot of the brands....is there any difference in the us diamond and radiac wheels, being they are basically the same company??

Radiac is using the same process as US Diamond used as far as I can tell.

[QUOTE="Khntr85,
And which brand seems to make the best all around wheen in your opinion....[/QUOTE]

Depends on the chain I'm doing. If it is trashed like most that are brought to me for sharpening, I use the 60 grit Foley.

I like the 150 grit on the Silvey for mine, they only take a quick bump. Mostly I just prefer the Silvey.

I still file also.

Philbert

Chainsaw Enthusiast
Local time
9:48 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Diamond Wheel Inc. lists an address not too far from my house, so I asked about setting up s site visit, and taking photos to post. They said that it was just their sales office, and did not tell me where the wheels are actually made.
:(

Philbert