High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Briggs & Scrap iron 8hp powerbuilt woes

mt.stalker

Super OPE Member
Local time
9:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
My 8hp Briggs Powerbuilt verticle engine is giving me a major headache . It is on an Agrifab trail mower . Here is the issue : starts in one pull , runs great , then dies , seemingly starving for fuel when it dies . Usually , if i disengage the blades quick enough , it will recover , and stay running . Then after I mow a little more , the same scenario happens again .
I've disassembled and cleaned the entire fuel system twice , with no improvement , and now i'm getting frustrated . Any Ideas ???

AVB

Super OPE Member
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
What are the equipment numbers?

Meanwhile have you tried leaving the fuel cap loose?

When you you cleaned the entire fuel system did you try replacing the fuel filter and fuel lines? I have been involved in few troubleshooting where EPA fuel line liners were collapsing causing fuel starvation problems and they would only do it under a load.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Just for kicks, when the engine is totally cool, check your valve clearances. I know it isn't all that easy on the non ohv models, but could be your problem.

Stump Shot

Disciple of Monkey's
GoldMember
Local time
8:44 AM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Was the float level correct when you had the carb apart? Otherwise check for aforementioned fuel supply issues.

Fish

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Put up your complete set of engine model numbers.

backhoelover

SERVICE MANUAL MASTER
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
sounds like the needle seat is swollen up and when you really put it up a load it is sucking up the fuel before it can get more fuel to the carb bowl

mt.stalker

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
the carb was effed , so I didn't post the briggs numbers . I got a chinese carb off from flea bay , for $46 . The briggs carb is $115 ... Anyhow , with the chicom carb , it started first pull , and runs perfectly . Thanks for your replies gentlemen !