Barn Find 136

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
9:35 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I was helping dad clean out a barn on some property they bought. Digging through the junk I ran across a little Husky 136. We had some of these at work that weren't worth a dime. More than likely those were abused. This one is a low emissions 136 with a CA sticker dated 2004. P&C look great, 187 compression, spark, fuel lines were mush! I put a new fuel line and filter on it thinking that may fix it but I would say I need a carb kit. It will hit and idle, but not long. How hard is it to rebuild these little carbs? Does this muffler come apart without destroying it? It seems crimped together. I have heard a muffler mod really helps these little saws. I'm wanting to fix it up for my son since he is showing interest in cutting and splitting wood. Also, are AM okay for these little saws?

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    183.9 KB · Views: 20
  • image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    106.4 KB · Views: 16

Motorhead

Cantre Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
I hope some one chimes in on these saws,I just picked up a 142 which is basically the same saw,But I'm gonna try to put a ported 46cc poulan motor in it,I't looks like it will fit,just gotta make some time to do the deed.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
The carb on 136 is not hard to rebuild. With the type of muffler you have it could be cut apart, but would have to braze or weld it back together. On last 136 that I worked on I discarded the type of muffler you have and put a muffler on it from a 36. The 36 used a 2 piece muffler case and no catalytic plate inside it. On a 36 muffler the exhaust outlet is on side. The back half or piece of muffler case will have a slit in it for outlet on side. Also, I cut another slot of same size in the front half of muffler case on side. End up with 2 slots or gills on the clutch side of muffler for outlets. I leave the the square shape baffle inside the muffler. After replacing muffler the owner mentioned it runs better now then when it was new. I don't have a picture of this saw with muffler to show you, but can search online for 36 husqvarna muffler and there are plenty for sale OEM and AM (aftermarket). The style of muffler on your 136 gets very hot and will develope cracks after a certain amount of hours.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Rebuilt the carb today and put a new fuel line on it (that was a PITA!). I kept that muffler for now. My dealer has one in order for a 36/136 standard (non-low emission) saw. Should be here Tuesday with Christmas coming up. I will retune after I mod that one. Saw runs pretty good to be free. The fuel was black in the tank so I washed it out good and ran some TruFuel in it for now. I thought I had a major problem at first, it would run, then almost die then speed up. I left the black plug/adjustment screw thingy off and had to take the filter base off to get it back on. That's when I realized I had pinched the fuel line a little bit. Put it all back together and she runs good. My son even ran it a little, but I am going to have to get a chain for it before we cut too much. It looks like the teeth are only 3/16" on the long side.

Gizzard

Super OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
Yes everything is pretty tight fit around carb. Leads to having to do some things twice as you mentioned. Sounds like your on way to getting there. On muffler can drill hole or do the slots. Either way will have more outlet then small pencil hole on the low emission muffler. With the slots you can angle exhaust away from the plastic where brake flag meets clutch cover. With round hole there is not much room for placement and hitting brake, but a deflector could be put on backside of hole on those saws. Several ways to "skin the cat" and all can work well. If use the slot or gill exit, just use a dremel and cutoff wheel and use needlenose pliers or pliers of your preference and bend backside of cut out to deflect exhaust to front of saw. Your family have any property go through any of the fires? To many fires here in east KY also. Things fairly good now after some rains though.

Dustin4185

Pinnacle OPE Member
Local time
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
We didn't have any family affected, but did have some friends. I actually live on a wildlife management area in East TN and had a small one here we had to take care of. Glad for the rain! I will see how the new muffler fits and maybe gill it or drill a hole or two with a deflector. I haven't worked on a lot of saws other than filters, plugs, bars/chains, and other easy tasks. I don't care a bit to tear into something though. I am used to working in heavy equipment, farm tractors, and trucks, not little saws.

What part of eastern KY are you from?