High Quality Chainsaw Bars Husqvarna Toys

Anyone like high end historical/vintage firearms?? Look here!

breese

Pinnacle OPE Member
GoldMember
Local time
9:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
http://www.swissrifles.com/vetterli/index.html

On December 20, 1866 the Swiss committed themselves to adopting a repeating rifle to arm their armed forces. At the time no suitable design existed. The task of designing the rifle was left to designer Friedrich Vetterli, who had joined the Schweizerische Industrie-Gesellschaft Waffen-Department (SIG) in 1864. Vetterli already been involved in weapon design with the Germans, French, and British, and was strongly influenced by American rifle designs, most notably the Henry Repeating rifle. By 1866, Vetterli had already come up with a single shot, bolt operated rifle. The action was a modified Terry action, designed in England in the early 1850s. 1867 saw the wedding of the bolt action concept to the tube magazine, and 1868 resulted in a spring operated bolt. On February 27, 1868 the Swiss government placed an order for 80,000 Vetterli rifles.

This design represented a significant advance in European Military Technology. Up to this point, the Swiss had been using Milbank-Amsler Rifles, single-shot muzzleloaders, which had been converted to fire rimfire cartridges (for more information about Milbank-Amsler rifles, click here and here.) The Vetterli Rifles were capable of holding up to 13 rounds, and a rate of fire of 21 rounds per minute.

srb08

Doesn't play well with others
Local time
9:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
My grandfather passed away back in the 80's and everyone rushed home to Tennessee.
At the time my aunt Jean and uncle Robert had a small restaurant in town.

The morning of the funeral the entire family meet for breakfast...
After an hour or so an elderly gentleman came walking in with 2 Very old long guns.
One was a double barrel shotgun, the other a bolt action long gun.
Being in my 20's I decided to take a look. The gentleman was there trying to sell them...

After looking at both (and liking the bolt action) I rejoined my family. Uncle Robert (sitting next to me) asked what was going on. I told him and I mentioned how nice the bolt action was.
A few moments later uncle Robert went over to talk to the gentleman. Seemed he knew him. Not surprising seeing just about Everyone knew uncle Robert.

About 10 minutes later uncle Robert came back to the table and handed me the bolt action. I told him I could not afford that. He told me "No never mind.... I know the man, he owed me money and I offered him some cash and wiped the dept. I am giving this to you"
You could have knocked me over with a whisper!

Back home I discovered it is a Vetterli 1886-87, 41 caliber. All the numbers match, and it is a dual rim fire. Looking close I discover both firing pins were broken.

Over the next 20 plus years I looked for a gun smith I felt would be able to work on this, inspect it for possible firing, and make the new firing pins.

A few years ago my uncle John calls me and tells me to bring the rifle to TN in June. He has a lead on an older gun smith with a reputation for knowing very old guns.
I delivered the gun and all the documentation for it that June and John handled it from there...

The next year in March I get a call. The 1867 is done. WTF?? "John! what is this going to cost me!"
"Well.... The inspection went real well. The gun is in great shape. Cost was $20. The bad news is that Sam (the gunsmith) had to order the metal to Hand make the firing pin/s (turns out to be one single piece of metal). After getting the metal and Hand Filing it fit, he said its good to go"

"Yea, well, How F'en Much??"
"oh.... $50 LOLOL"

Turns out the rifle was the oldest gun Sam had ever worked on.
Next, I need ammo... Good F'en luck!!
In April I find I collector selling off some very old ammo. Turns out it had all been stored in a safe for about 80 years. I buy the one and only Whole box of 20. Don't ask how much... But I had to have it!

In June I get the rifle back... Of course we have to Test Fire this thing....
The family, friends, neighbors, all step out into the front yard. We put a 4x4x4 chunk of wood about 20 years away and boom..... What? This is quiet!! Well at the length it is and as heavy as it is, behind the gun its like shooting a 22!!

Nice hole thru the 4x4x4... Closer inspection, the entire Rear half is Gone!
Another 4x4x4 and boom... the 4x4x4 explodes!
Over the rest of the vacation that year we shoot off all but 3 of those rounds...

Now I am on the lookout for Another Bolt to be converted to Center Fire...Yes I have the documentation on how to do it But I want to leave the matching number bolt stock....

View attachment 118391

View attachment 118392

View attachment 118393

View attachment 118394
Interesting old gun. I've handled a few but never shot one.

FergusonTO35

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:49 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
That is cool. Is it WWI military? My problem is finding a foundry. They say there are no foundries in the US anymore, to make a new hammer for my Stanley. That is a cool story also.

I would bet you that a hammer for another shotgun would work just fine. My understanding is that most nineteenth century shotguns were just copies of each other. There were also tons of rip-offs and knock-offs just like Chinese saws today. Quite often, a copy would have a slightly different version of a famous maker's name such as "J. Rigby" or "Holland's".