Air filter problem with 394 to 395 mod - starving for air

Scott chandler

Well-Known OPE Member
Local time
11:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
394 to 395 conversion but with a new 395 carb and intake installed. Looks exactly like a 395 now with p/c and intake and when trying to adjust carb low screw didn't make much difference in adjusting and saw wouldn't hum would run idle just wouldn't clear up. Vac test good new seals so while troubleshooting more - when i took air filter and top off it will scream and run fine - adjusted with filter off just wont run with air filter on. It's an after market filter and everything lines up as far as filter and intake. I have ordered an Oem filter to try but don't know that it will fix problem. Acts like it is starving for air and can't adjust it out. New filter looks good too fits well. In beginning thought it was just extra oil i lubed everything up with but I've run it enough now that's it's cleared up. Adjusting carb just didn't do like it was supposed to. Not sure what to think - would changing over to high top style top and filter be better if new filter won't work ? Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated

Mkinslow

Here For The Long Haul!
Local time
10:09 PM
User ID
Reaction score
Country flag
394 to 395 conversion but with a new 395 carb and intake installed. Looks exactly like a 395 now with p/c and intake and when trying to adjust carb low screw didn't make much difference in adjusting and saw wouldn't hum would run idle just wouldn't clear up. Vac test good new seals so while troubleshooting more - when i took air filter and top off it will scream and run fine - adjusted with filter off just wont run with air filter on. It's an after market filter and everything lines up as far as filter and intake. I have ordered an Oem filter to try but don't know that it will fix problem. Acts like it is starving for air and can't adjust it out. New filter looks good too fits well. In beginning thought it was just extra oil i lubed everything up with but I've run it enough now that's it's cleared up. Adjusting carb just didn't do like it was supposed to. Not sure what to think - would changing over to high top style top and filter be better if new filter won't work ? Any suggestions or thoughts appreciated
I would try the new filter. Changing from low to high top shouldn’t make much difference. I don’t have a 395 but I do have a couple 372xp one is high top and one is low top. They run equally well for me. What type of aftermarket filter is it. Pics may help, inside and outside